I thought my life was fine before but now that I’ve discovered Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake in bar form, I now know that life is terrific! OK. Maybe I’m exaggerating. I’ve been know to do it. Only a little. But then again, these are really good vegan dessert bars!
I thought about making these after I was inspired by the Baker’s Royale version. Just take a look at their photos and tell me you wouldn’t be inspired too.
To be completely honest, I was more than inspired. I was on a mission. There had to be a vegan version of that recipe in this world. And I was just the person to make it happen.
I had something else giving me some motivation too. Could it be Mr. Coco waiting to snarf down the crumbs that comes his way every time I’m in the kitchen?
Sorry, Coco. No crumbs for you today. Dogs and chocolate don’t mix so well.
Oh, I hate it when he gives me that look. Don’t worry, there’ll be other crumbs in your near future.
So, what was I saying? Oh yes, motivation. Earth Balance featured a recipe contest recently and I wanted to create something extra special. Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars. Yeah, that’s the ticket!
Here it is. A vegan version of a fantastic recipe so you can make it yourself. I’m even providing a gluten-free option for all you Gluten X-ers® out there. By the way, I’m totally trademarking that! It’s pat of my scheme to make millions.
Or at least I can finally use some of those cool, little symbols WordPress offers. You know, you gotta keep learning new skills.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- 2 tbsp. of ground flax meal
- 2 tbsp. of corn starch
- 6 tbsp. of water
- 1 cup(s) of Earth Balance Margarine
- 3/4 cup(s) of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. of vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup(s) of flour (substitute gluten-free flour here if you’d like a GlutenX version)
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 cup(s) of dairy-free chocolate chips
- Vegan Cheesecake Filling (see recipe below)
- Begin by warming your oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 X 9 baking pan with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons ground flax meal, 2 tablespoons corn starch, and 6 tablespoons water. Stir well and set aside to thicken.
- Next combine the 1 cup of Earth Balance margarine, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl. Stir vigorously (or use a mixer) until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and flax meal mixture to the margarine mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the margarine mixture and stir until everything is well incorporated. Add chocolate chips.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 18 – 20 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- In the meantime prepare the Cheesecake Filling (see recipe below).
- Once the bottom layer of the cookie bars have cooled, spoon the Cheesecake Filing over the top.
- Cover that with spoonfuls of the remaining cookie dough. You may have spots where the Cheesecake Filling is showing through, but don’t worry, the cookie topping will spread out as it bakes.
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. It looks incredible, I know, but try to stay out of it…that stuff is really hot!
Vegan Cheesecake Filling
- 1 8 oz container vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup(s) of sugar
- 2 tbsp. of corn starch
- 1 tbsp. of ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp. of water
- 3 tbsp. of lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon)
- Combine the container of vegan cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of corn starch, 1 tablespoon of flax seed, and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir and then pour into cream cheese mixture. Continuing stirring until all the ingredients are well acquainted.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir again, until everything’s all mixed together.