Clearly my sweet tooth isn’t done with me yet because now I’m sharing with you another dessert, my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie. And here’s something that should catch you by surprise (or have I lost the ability to surprise you with anything?). This recipe contributes another post to my favorite series, 100 Things To Do With Chickpeas. Chickpeas in a pie? Let the wild rumpus begin!
I have a thing with chickpeas, what can I say? It started with these Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. This was quickly followed by me doing my happy dance in the kitchen. My husband and daughter looked on in astonishment. Oh, you know, I may have lost the ability to surprise them too, but there were at least a couple of raised eyebrows and I do believe my husband might have said something like, “They’re just chickpeas.”
It sounded, mildly, like a challenge. And you know me. I can’t take a tongue-in-cheek challenge like that lightly. With a chickpea studded fork in my hand raised high in the air, I said, “I think there’s a 100 things I could do with chickpeas!”
I’ll confess I didn’t really have a plan when I said that. Well, to be completely honest, I don’t even have a plan today.
But my Chickpeas Series lives on. There are a lot of recipes you’d expect, like my Green Monster Hummus. I also made a Shepherd’s Pie that was a little bit off the beaten path, but worth the journey! Then there was my Vegan Butternut Lasagna. Oh yes there was!
But I had NO IDEA my Chickpea Adventures would lead me to making a pie. As my mother would say, Oh lah!
But here I am, 22 recipes into the challenge and still going strong!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie
- 1 Unbaked 9″ Pie Crust
- 15 ounces Can Reduced Sodium Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 3/4 cup Soymilk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dairy-free Margarine, sliced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups Dairy-free Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Chopped Nuts, like pecans or walnuts
- Heat your oven to 350 F
- Combine chickpeas, peanut butter, corn starch, flax seeds, soymilk, and vanilla in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is very smooth (this will take approximately 40 seconds up to a minute).
- Use a spatula to push down any ingredients that have accumulated at the top of the food processor bowl. Add the white and brown sugar and pulse again until the mixture is smooth again.
- Add the margarine and pulse for several seconds.
- Add the flour and pulse one more time until the flour is well-combined.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and nuts and stir so that they’re evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pie crust. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once the pie is done, cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with your favorite vegan whipped cream.