Some days only the flavors of rich chocolate and smooth peanut butter can soothe your troubled soul which makes these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars the perfect cure for whatever ails you.
When I was a teenager I went through a phase where I loved making up recipes. I didn’t know what I was doing, of course.
Maybe that’s why I liked it. The process and the outcomes were always a mystery!
Combining chocolate, peanut butter and rice crispies used to be a favorite treat back then, and I had nearly forgotten about it until recently. Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars. Just saying it again makes me feel all happy inside!
Who can deny the perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter? That with a little bit of snap and crackling rice crispies makes for a perfect mid-day treat!
If you know any hobbits, they’re not too shabby as a second breakfast either.
I do whatever my rice crispies tell me.
I saw that on a bumper sticker once. I’m still laughing about it today.
It’s kind of funny to think that I’ve returned to the passions of my youth. I went through a period where I felt cooking was too domestic so I spent as little time as possible in the kitchen. I was making my way in the world and didn’t have time for domesticity. That meant we ended up eating out. A lot!
Then I read a book which changed my life. You may know the author, Sue Monk Kidd. Before she wrote Secret Life of Bees and other fabulous novels, she wrote a little book called The Dance of the Dissident Daughter. I had many powerful take-aways from this book but one of my favorites was understanding that feminine and masculine characteristics fall on a spectrum and that each and every one of us share in those traits, whether male or female.
What an empowering thought! Spending time in the kitchen doesn’t have to be a household, feminine chore. It can be, and is, an expression of creativity!
And a dose of creativity was definitely needed in my kitchen recently. That’s because I could remember eating these delicious rice crispy bars as a teenager, but now as an adult I couldn’t for the life of me remember how I made them.
So I know these are not the same as what I made before, but somehow I think they’re actually better.
Vegan, gluten-free, chocolate peanut butter bars.
Creativity and science combined = Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Bars². In other words, they’re so good you might want to double the recipe!
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup cocoa (optional)
- 3 cups Rice Crispy (or Rice Krispies) cereal
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 package vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Chocolate Fudge Topping
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Coconut Spread (or coconut oil)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons soy milk
- Prepare a 9" square cake pan by using non-dairy margarine to grease bottom and sides.
- Combine corn syrup, white, and brown sugar in a large sauce pan and cover over low to medium heat for several minutes until the mixture becomes smooth. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter and cocoa and stir until combined.
- Pour in the rice crispy cereal and stir until the rice crispies are evenly coated.
- Pour the coated rice crispy mixture into your prepared pan and spread it around some. You can use your fingers or the greased back of a spoon to press this into the bottom of the pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine the vegan cream cheese and peanut butter. Heat for about 30 seconds and stir to combine. Add the powdered sugar and stir until combined. Spread this over the chocolate peanut butter rice crispy layer.
- Next combine the chocolate chips and Earth Balance spread (or coconut oil) in a microwave safe bowl. Stir to ensure the chocolate chips are coated and then heat for about a minute. Stir and heat for about 30 seconds until the chocolate chips are melted. Add the soy milk, one tablespoon at a time, stirring in between until you get the desired spreadable consistency. Spread the chocolate fudge topping over the peanut butter layer.
- Cover and place the pan in the fridge where you can stand nearby for an hour and waiting for it to set. Trust me, it's worth the wait!
These dessert bars go perfectly with a tall glass of soy milk. Enjoy!