The perfect breakfast-any-time-of-day recipe, these Vegan Whiskey Pancakes are a sultry, smooth addition to your pancake recipe repertoire. I have to give thanks to Adee for yet another amazing recipe. I think you’ll be thanking her too soon! If you like breakfast too, check out my Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread Pancakes recipe. Or how about the favorite Vegan Biscuit Casserole. So good!
I had a little medical procedure recently (only a preventive thing) that required a little fasting on my end. Fasting. Can you believe it? I mean, sure I could have some clear fluids, but seriously. That’s no way to live.
However, there are some health benefits to fasting. When I first learned about that I thought I was going to flip my wig. Of course, I don’t wear a wig, but you get my point.
It seems like everyone has been on these talking points about why we need to eat every hour of the day. That skipping meals (aka, fasting) hurts our metabolism, causing mere images of food to create weight gain.
Well, come to find out, that’s not true. Fasting comes in all shapes and sizes, from water fasts to clear liquids, and more. I typically follow the edicts of Intermittent Fasting, where you narrow the window in which you eat. I try to stop eating around 8 pm at night and won’t have breakfast until around 10 am. It works for me.
However, Shawn and I are into smoothies right now so I’m having those a little earlier in the day, maybe around 9 am.
Anyway, where was I?
Oh yeah, I was talking about this medical procedure and how I had to fast. And then the procedure was over and I was getting ready for my first real meal of three days and guess what I asked for? Breakfast! We made pancakes, tofu scramble and hash browns. Breakfast for dinner? It’s the best!
Why You’ll Love Vegan Whiskey Pancakes
All you need to do is look at the pictures above and you’ll see everything there is to love about these pancakes. If you like the woody flavor of whiskey, you’ll love vegan whiskey pancakes that are a little crispy on the edges, while tender and soft and tasty on the inside. Serving it with oodles of maple syrup helps too.
Adee describes this as the perfect pancake. It tastes like the crispy pancakes you’d get at Cracker Barrel or IHOP. So skip IHOP and make these vegan whiskey pancakes for yourself! YAS!
Also, I know whiskey can be spelled different ways. What I’ve read is the Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey. Guess what? My last name is McMillen which means I’m a little bit of both so either way I spell it works.
Now, the next question you may be asking is why pancakes need to be vegan in the first place. Here are the reasons I love my vegan diet:
- Eating vegan is great for the environment! It reduces your carbon footprint by half as much as a meat-lovers. That’s because factory farming for meat makes up at least half of manmade emissions. When your food tastes just as good (or better!) without animal products, why not!
- Vegan diets are awesome for animals. Does that even need to be said? I think it does. But if you love animals, there’s no reason to eat them.
- Your vegan eats are actually good for you. Of course you have to be thoughtful and be sure you’re getting in your greens and veggies, but every now and then it’s fun to have some vegan whiskey pancakes too!
It’s almost like they should write a headline that says Vegan Pancakes Save the World!
A little too much enthusiasm? OK. I’ll dial it back a little.
This Recipe Sucks!
OK. This recipe does NOT suck, but I got your attention. Right? I think every recipe sucks…a little. Because the true beauty of any recipe is when you adapt it and make it yours! You know that saying when you love something you set it free? I love this recipe so much, I’m setting it free to your creative whims. But if you need some ideas to get the noodle nodding, here are some ways I might play around with this recipe:
- Change out the whiskey for rum
- Use vegetable oil instead of the coconut oil, but only at your own peril. Adee highly recommends the coconut oil!
- Add some extra vanilla extract for a boost
- Add a scoop of Vegan Whipped Cream for some extra fancy deliciousness
- Sprinkle a few pieces of bacon-flavored almond slivers on top
You can serve these Vegan Whiskey Pancakes fresh from the skillet on a Saturday morning. But you can also make a double batch on the weekend so you can enjoy them all week long!
We hope you love this Vegan Whiskey Pancakes recipe as much as we do. If you decide to make the recipe, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your creations!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups plant based milk*
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup whiskey
- 2 - 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Vegan Butter
In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugars. Stir to combine. Set aside.
In a separate bowl combine the plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, ground flax seed, cornstarch, water, and vegetable oil. Stir to combine.
Gradually add the plant-based milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. It's ok if there are a few lumps in the batter.
Add the whiskey and stir to combine.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add a little bit of coconut oil (like a half teaspoon or sto the skillet). As it melts be sure it coats the pan. Pour about a quarter cup of the batter at a time on the heated skillet. Cook on one side until the pancake bubbles and the edges lift. That's a sign to flip the pancakes. Use a spatula to flip the pancakes.
Cook on the other side until golden brown. Continue with the remaining batter until all the pancakes are done.
Serve with dairy-free margarine and maple syrup.
* You may want to add a 1/4 cup of additional plant-based milk. You want the batter to be thin.
If you like vegan pancakes, you’ll want to see these:
- Super Simple Vegan Pancakes by Cookie + Kate
- Healthy Three Ingredient Vegan Pancakes by Sweet Simple Vegan
- Vegan Gluten-Free Pancakes by Simple Vegan Blog
- Or how about these Vegan Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes by yours truly!
Whatever crispy pancake you’re sticking a fork in, enjoy!