I’m starting a new series of posts I’m calling Veggie Meals. These recipes will be low-calorie, low-cost, low-maintenance, filling, cleansing, and healthy meals you can make for yourself. Yes, we can have it all!
Be vegan. Be healthy. Be skinny!
Today’s recipe is one of my favorite starts to the day, French Vanilla Oatmeal.
I’m one of the hungry people in life. And somehow I never learned to live comfortably with that feeling. Oh, I guess there are times when I can keep really busy and thereby distracted from that gnawing sensation in my tummy.
Most of the time, however, I think I’m guided by an inner seven year old who simply wants to eat foods that are comforting; Macaroni and Cheese; Ice Cream; Cheesy Mashed Potatoes. Do we see a trend here? Of course, nowadays I veganize those food choices, but they still fall in the “comfort food” category. I know I’m supposed to be a Modern Adult Woman (I call that my MAW), but somehow I end up making choices that keep that inner child at ease. Especially when it comes to food…and especially when I’m hungry.
So I’m learning ways to keep hunger at bay. Today’s recipe puts my MAW in charge…right where I like her to be!
French Vanilla Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 packet of instant plain oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon of peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon of Vega French Vanilla Nutritional shake mix (this stuff is the bomb!)*
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- Combine the packet of plain oatmeal into the hot water in a small bowl or cup. Let it sit for a few seconds.
- Add the peanut butter and stir. I’m completely in love with the flavor of peanut butter so somedays I’ll get a little crazy and add 2 teaspoons of peanut butter. I know, it’s ridiculous!
- Add the teaspoon Vega French Vanilla mix and ground flax seed and stir. You may be tempted to add more, but I personally think the flavor is strong and a teaspoon combined with the peanut butter is perfecto!
I did a rough estimate of nutritional information for this recipe based on my list of ingredients.
All in all? That’s a great start to any day!