I love Magic Bars. You know, those gooey bars with a graham cracker crust, coconut, peanut butter and chocolate? Of course, it’s hard to go wrong with that list of ingredients. I started playing around in the kitchen (always a dangerous thing for me) recently and found myself wondering what those ingredients would taste like in a cookie. The next thing you know, I have a new favorite recipe, Magic Bar Cookies. I should probably stop now. I mean stop! But I imagine I won’t. You’re stuck with me a little longer. Just eat a cookie; that’ll make it all better.
Cookies have been part of our holiday tradition going back to the beginning of time. Or at least until the time when cookies were invented.
You mean cookies haven’t been around forever?
I know. It’s hard to believe.
They are perfect treats to make for holiday goodie bags. And where would we be without a goodie bag here or there?
I like to make a big batch of cookie dough, reserving some of the dough for the freezer so I can pop some cookies into the oven at will. Of course it helps when you turn the oven on first.
It definitely makes a house feel more festive to have freshly baked cookies coming out of the oven.
And I feel more festive when I’m eating them.
The song has it right – it’s the most wonderful time of the year. And it’s even a little better with some magic thrown in…Magic Cookie Bars that is.
These cookies are made even more magical with organic ingredients like Arrowhead Mills Steel-cut Oats and MaraNatha Organic No-Stir Creamy Peanut Butter. Check out an entire collection of tasty holiday cookie exchange recipes on our group Pinterest board!
This is a sponsored post. I’ve been compensated and ingredients were provided to develop and photograph this recipe from Arrowhead Mills. The many opinions I have on a variety of topics, including today’s post, are completely and entirely my own.
- ½ cup margarine
- ½ cup MaraNatha® Organic No-Stir Creamy Peanut Butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ soy milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup of Arrowhead Mills® Steel Cut Oats
- ½ cup Arrowhead Mills® Organic Stoneground Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ cup Arrowhead Mills® Organic Unbleached White Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 squares semi-sweet bakers chocolate, grated
- 1 cup Sunspire® Vegan Carob Chips
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- Combine margarine, peanut butter, and sugars in a mixing bowl. Stir vigorously until combined and a little on the light and fluffy side.
- In a small bowl combine the soy milk, ground flax seeds, corn starch and apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside for a minute to thicken. Pour this into the margarine mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the Steel Cut Oats into a blender and pulse for several seconds until a course flour develops.
- In a separate bowl combine the whole wheat flour, oat flour (developed in step #4), baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined. Pour the flour mixture into the margarine mixture and stir well.
- Next, add the shredded coconut and chopped/shredded chocolate and 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoon on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.