I recently created this recipe that is officially called One-Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry, but that sounds so simplistic. It doesn’t really describe how I feel about it. What I would love to call this is a One-Pot Wonder! That’s how much I love it!
You know I’m a fan of the chickpea, right? It’s not like I started out that way. I used to hate chickpeas, otherwise know as garbanzo beans. I mean, who could like something called a garbanzo? Just watching people eating them and would get me nauseous!
It’s a good thing taste buds change over time. Hummus might have been the thing that helped get me over the chickpea hurdle. It’s hard not to love hummus. I guess you could call it a gateway drug. 🙂
Here are a few examples of some of our traditional and creative recipes that use chickpeas:
- Carrot Hummus
- Smoky Chipotle Hummus
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Cheesecake (yes…cheesecake!)
- Vegan Meringue (ok…not technically using the bean, but the bean juice!)
- Vegan Blondies (yes, blondies made with chickpeas…it’s a thing!)
What You’ll Love about One-Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry
First of all, this chickpea coconut curry started out as a multi-step recipe that took a lot of twists and turns…and time! O course it was delicious, but I wasn’t certain I wanted to make it again because of all the work involved. And then Adee said, “Why don’t you just cook it all together?”
Um, that’s a great question. Brilliant, in fact. So I made it again…all in one pot…and it worked! From the mouths of babes…
So, that means the first thing you’ll love about this recipe is that it’s so easy! Throw everything in a pot and let it cook together. Perfection! Also, curry is actually a combination of several spices, including turmeric! And everyone knows that turmeric is the bomb when it comes to fighting inflammation! Also, this recipe includes rice, peas, carrots, and more. As a result, this chickpea coconut curry is more like comfort food than some exotic dish!
You know I love playing around with a recipe, because it makes cooking so much fun. Therefore, here’s some ideas for altering this chickpea coconut curry recipe:
- Use brown jasmin rice. It’s a little pricier, but it adds a whole grain ( love!)
- Add some chopped cauliflower while you’re cooking
- Sprinkle the finished dish with sesame seeds
- Serve with steamed broccoli
So, if you’re looking for a recipe that’s easy, creamy, delicious, and healthy? Well, then this may just be the One Pot Wonder for you too!
Be sure to serve this chickpea coconut curry with freshly baked naan bread and enjoy!
Because we love this chickpea coconut curry recipe so much, We hope you will too! If you decide to make it, be sure to snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 15 oz can coconut milk
- 3 cans of water fill that coconut milk can 3 times
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1-3 tablespoons curry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Bragg or soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro fresh is best but dried will work too
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Other ingredients: Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- Serve with Baked Naan
Combine the coconut milk, water, basmati rice, minced garlic, chopped carrots, potato cubes and rinsed chickpeas in a large pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes. The basmati rice should be tender at this point and the sauce should be very thick.
Add the frozen corn and peas and stir until combined.
Before serving add the curry, Bragg (or soy), the juice of one lime, and the chopped cilantro. Stir to combine and this One Pot Wonder is ready to be eaten!
In conclusion, if you’re into delicious chickpea casserole recipes, take a look at these:
- Eggplant Tomato and Chickpea Casserole via the NY Times Cooking
- Chickpea Noodle Casserole by the Veg Life
- Chickpea Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole from Hummusapien
- And don’t forget this Vegan Deviled Ham Spread featuring Chickpeas from yours truly!
Whichever chickpea recipe you’re chomping on, enjoy!