Can you have too many things going on in a cookie? I’m sure you can. Maybe we could call that the “fruit cake cookie.” Your thoughts might be tempted to steer in that direction as I describe the ingredients in this cookie recipe. I have to admit chocolate and pumpkin and orange zest does sound a little over the top. All I can say is the ingredients all come together so nicely and deliciously that when you’re eating them, fruit cake will be the furthest thing from your mind. Or maybe it’s the farthest. Where’s my Strunk & White! Well, believe it or not, pumpkin, chocolate, and orange zest blend together so perfectly, they might as well be on the Three Tenors Tour! May Pavarotti rest in peace. So, come with me on an over-the-top journey to discover these delicious little jewels, Orange Zested Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.
So, what’s really going on with these cookies? I mean, really? Well, you might want to sit down for this one. Or not. But these cookies boast a little bit of peanut butter, pumpkin, the zest of one orange, oatmeal, walnuts, and chocolate chips.
It’s a mouthful, I know. In fact, it’s a mouthful one after another after another.
It was fun sharing these cookies with some new friends as part of the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.
It’s a cookie exchange like no other. You bake a few dozen cookies, find your local post office and mail a dozen each out to three other bloggers. In exchange you get cookies in your little mailbox too. And it’s not just a fun, little activity. We do it for a cause, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. According to the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap organizers, Julie and Lindsay, this year’s fund raiser raised $13,778! That’s thanks to over 600 participants from around the world who prepared over 20K cookies in total.
All of this goodness from cookies. Not too shabby.
I wish I could share with you pictures of the cookies I received. But, well, I ate them. And then afterwards I thought…I should have taken a picture.
I eat before I think sometimes.
I will tell you they were delicious. I opted for vegan cookie partners and as a result received some very tasty vegan treats in the mail.
And now, if you’re in the mood for some orange-zested, pumpkin-infused, chocolate chip packed cookies, you’re in luck. I think I might have just what you’re looking for…
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (plain, not the pumpkin pie variety)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl use a mixer to blend together the margarine, peanut butter, and sugars. Blend until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla, orange zest, and ground flax seed and mix again until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour flour mixture into wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add walnuts and dark chocolate chips and stir until each are distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Use a cookie dispenser to drop cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet approximately 1" apart.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes each. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.