I took this Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip to my book reading club gathering and they raved about it. Usually I only get a reaction like that from people who are somehow motivated to say nice things to me, like my family, but that’s not so with my book reading club. In fact, the whole notion of a book reading club is that we’re all there with different opinions about the same thing and we talk it through…while drinking wine and eating good food. So when this group agreed that they loved this dip, I knew it was a winner.
They sell sweet potatoes at my grocery store 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but somehow sweet potatoes fall into the apples and pumpkin category for me – they scream fall. Well, you know, not literally.
So when this time of year rolls around I love to dish out the sweet potatoes. And I figured it would be perfect to showcase these cheesy sweet potatoes with layers of taco-flavored quinoa, salsa-infused black beans, and all the toppings like black olives and diced tomatoes that make this new fall flavored dip something to be remembered at your party, whatever the theme!
(Note: The Sweet Potato Chips in this photo are vegetarian, but not vegan. If you want vegan chips to accompany the vegan dip, you should consider the Garden of Eatin’ Blue Corn Tortilla Chips®.)
This is a sponsored post. From time-to-time I share about brands I have tried and enjoy. I feel this is a service to my readers who may be wanting to try different products but are reluctant without knowing more about them. I’ve been compensated to develop and photograph this recipe from Hain Celestial. Products were provided. The many opinions I have on a variety of topics, including today’s post, are completely and entirely my own.
To learn more, follow Hain Celestial on Facebook or follow Hain Celestial on Pinterest. And while you’re at it, head over to The Holidays with Hains Celestial Pinterest board and Pin to Win $100 in Hain Celestial products (like the ones listed in the recipes below). You’ll find all the details about the program right there on the Pinterest board!
- 2 15 oz cans Westbrae Natural® Organic Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon Spectrum® ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cup Imagine® Organic Sweet Potato Soup
- 1½ teaspoon Hain® salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 2 cups Arrowhead Mills® Organic Quinoa, cooked
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 – 4 leaves of cilantro, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried cilantro)
- 2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- Garden of Eatin’® Sweet Potato Corn Tortilla Chips (vegetarian but not vegan) or Garden of Eatin'® Blue Corn Tortilla Chips (vegan)
- Prepare the Black Bean Dip by combing black beans, salsa, ground flax seed, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Spread across the bottom of a deep-dished serving plate.
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and pour enough water until just covered. Microwave the potatoes for 4 – 5 minutes and then allow them to sit until softened. Use a fork to test the potatoes to ensure they’re tender.
- When the potatoes are ready and cooled, carefully drain the excess fluid, and place the softened sweet potatoes into a food processor bowl. Add the nutritional yeast flakes, sweet potato soup, 1 teaspoon salt, turmeric, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of the paprika. Pulse until smooth. Spoon the Sweet Potato Spread over the black bean mixture on the serving plate, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Prepare the Quinoa Taco Filling by combining cooked quinoa, taco seasoning and remaining paprika in a medium bowl. You can substitute smoked paprika if you like here for a smokier taste. Stir until combined.
- Add one tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture (reserved from step #3) to the quinoa mixture and stir until combined (this helps the quinoa stay together better for dipping purposes). Then spread the prepared Quinoa Taco Filling over the Sweet Potato layer.
- Prepare the Simple and Fresh Guacamole by placing the chopped avocados in a bowl and then adding the sliced green onion, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, and the remaining half teaspoon of salt. Stir until well combined.
- You can continue to stir until the guacamole is relatively smooth or keep it kind of chunky, whatever your preference is. Drop spoonfuls of the guacamole along the outside edge over the quinoa layer and then work your way inward, using the back of your spoon to spread it evenly across the top.
- Top the dip with layers of chopped black olives, diced tomatoes, and vegan shredded cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: You can easily make this dip the day ahead of your party – the flavors grow tastier over time. This dip goes nicely with the Garden of Eatin’® Sweet Potato Corn Tortilla Chips.
Enjoy the conversation on G+ as well!