My mom makes the best strawberry cake. When I became vegetarian (and then later vegan) I regretted not being able to eat that cake anymore because its ingredients included strawberry jello which (believe it or not) falls into the category of surprising foods that are not vegetarian. However, I recently found a veg-friendly version of jello and my quest for replicating my mom’s cake began. Now I’m sharing with you today the Best Vegan Strawberry Cake…ever!
We’ve gone through several versions of this cake and all of them have been good (except for the inedible one where I forgot a crucial ingredient), but this last one finally hit the mark.
I don’t know if there is a better flavor in the world than strawberry so making that the hero ingredient of a vegan cake is simply divine. And I read recently that strawberries are one of those nutritionally-dense wonder foods so be sure to have some fresh strawberry slices as a topping (so you can fool yourself into thinking you’re eating something healthy).
How to Make the Best Vegan Strawberry Cake
You may ask me, how can I get my hands on some vegetarian strawberry jello? It’s a good question and one that could be considered crucial for making this cake. However, I have tried this recipe with and without the vegetarian jello, and it’s great either way!
However, if you want to include some vegetarian jello, Simply Delish makes a vegetarian strawberry jello. I’ve also been able to find strawberry or raspberry vegetarian jello in the health food section of my grocery store.
Beyond the vegetarian jello, this cake is pretty easy to prepare. Simply mix the dry ingredients together and combine the wet ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. After that you combine everything together and pour it into a prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. It’s really a sweet, tasty dessert with fruit baked right in!
We hope you love this recipe for the Best Ever Vegan Strawberry Cake. If you decide to make this vegan recipe, snap a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small package vegetarian jello (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1½ cup plant-based milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (I used fresh, but frozen can be substituted)
- Natural Food coloring: Stir in a few pieces of minced fresh beets. They have powerful color!
- Store-bought food coloring. If you don't have beets, you can stir in 3-4 drops red food coloring to make the cake pink
- ½ cup non-dairy margarine, softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 strawberries, stems removed, chopped and mashed
- Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour either a 13 X 5 or 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Mix the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the vegetarian strawberry jello, if using. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the vegetable oil, flax seed meal, plant-based milk, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the stems and chop the strawberries until you have 1½ cups chopped strawberries. Pour the chopped strawberries into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add either the natural or store-bought food coloring. Stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter in your prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes for the 13X9" pan or 35-40 minutes for the round cake pans. You should be able to insert a toothpick or piece of spaghetti in the middle of the cake and have it come out clean.
If you’d like to check out some other Vegan Strawberry Cake Recipes, here are a few of my faves:
- One Bowl Strawberry Cake by Vegan Richa
- Summer Strawberry Vegan Cake by Elephantistic Vegan
- Vegan Vanilla and Pear Strawberry Cake by Gather and Feast
- Easy Vegan Strawberry Cake by yours truly! 🙂
Whatever cake you’re noshing on…enjoy!