It’s a beautiful, messy day outside and all I can think of is how happy I feel to be a part of it. When life is feeling this good, I like to share some of that with others. It’s so simple and satisfying to see people enjoying something I’ve made. Especially when eating it gives them even the slightest groan of enjoyment. That’s what this batch of ultra gooey, ultra delicious Triple Chocolate Cookies is all about.
Sometimes there’s frustration, sometimes joy. All the stuff in between? That’s the messiness, but that’s life. I mean, seriously. That IS life.
Someone gave me a bracelet a few years ago that said, “Enjoy the Journey.” And I wonder, what is this fascination with the journey all about? And do we even really mean that because it seems there’s also this opposite obsession with perfection. Perfect houses with perfect fixtures. Neat handwriting. Clean hair.
Can you seek perfection and also enjoy the journey? Aren’t both pursuits pushing us in different directions?
These are the things I ponder when making cookies. That’s the thing about highly physical tasks like adding ingredients to a bowl, stirring, and then plopping spoonfuls of dough on a cookie pan. There’s a certain level of monotony to the process that takes over that allows your thoughts to wander in all kinds of directions.
That’s when I think life is a little like cookie dough. You have to be exact with some of the measurements, but there are areas within a recipe where you can cultivate some creativity.
Cookie dough is also messy, but with a little time and temperature, you can create something beautiful. And delicious.
I know. They’re just cookies. My head was in deep throttle muse mode as I was making them. But I can’t help but believe there’s something a little more to it all.
Yes. Life is like a delicious batch of cookies. It’s best when shared with others. You can quote me on that.
Triple Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (I used a 70g Kallari 75% Cacao bar)
- 2 – 3 cups dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Ladies and gentlemen, start your ovens…by heating it up to to 350F
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup soy or almond milk in a microwave safe bowl, stir together, and then heat in the microwave for about 22 seconds. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the softened margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy. That’s how life should be!
- Add the ground flax seed, corn starch, water, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and just beat it…some more.
- Add the melted (but cooled) chocolate mixture from step two above. Beat on high again, going for the fluff.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir together until well combined. Add this to the chocolate margarine mixture and beat some more until well combined. Grate the dark chocolate bar into the batter and stir. Next, add the chocolate chips. That’s where the triple chocolate comes into play!
- If the dough is a little sticky, go ahead and put it in the fridge for a half an hour or so. When you’re ready, use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute cookie dough onto a cookie sheet…or just wing it if you don’t care about perfect shapes. It’s all good. However, I advise that you keep the cookie sizes about the same so they bake evenly.
- Bake for about 10 – 12 minutes and remove from oven to cool. Place on a wire rack to cool complete.
- Go ahead, try just a bite of that batter. It’s almost as amazing as the cookies!