I’ve been a fan of the banana for as long as I can remember, so the idea of making it into a Vegan Banana Nut Bread Recipe was a win from the get-go! When you combine a crispy crust with a tender banana-flavored middle, you’ll end up with a perfect weekday (or weekend) treat. If you’re into all things banana, like me, you should take a look at my Vegan Banana Cream Pie. Or how about my Vegan Banana Blondies with Peanut Butter Frosting. Let the banana bread discussion begin!
Every year I think I’m going to make several loaves of this to give to my neighbors. And ever year I don’t do it. I got so far as to make the mini loaves this year…and then we ate them. I’m a terrible neighbor.
Well, not really. It’s not like I throw trash in my neighbors’ yards. That would be terrible. I’m just not as great of a neighbor as I’d like to be. Maybe next year.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Banana Nut Bread
I grew up in a family of four kids. None of us wanted to get the heal slice when it came to the loaf of bread. I mean, who wants the heal? But that all changes when we’re talking bout Vegan Banana Nut Bread. Why? Because the heal is a nice, crispy crust, just like the top. You’ll especially notice this when you eat it fresh from the oven, after it’s just cool enough to eat…but still warm.
Ah, warm Vegan Banana Nut Bread. It’s great stuff.
If you love the flavors of bananas combined with walnuts, something tells me you’re going to love this bread too. This is called a quick bread because it doesn’t require yeast to make it rise. However, it still requires a long time to bake the loaf – around an hour. But I promise you, the smells that erupt from your oven and fill your house will make the wait even that much better.
You May Not Like This Recipe
Seriously, this recipe may not be for you. But, of course, that’s where the fun comes in. I truly encourage people to play with their food. The best way to do that? Take a look at this recipe and brainstorm some ideas on how you’d change it. That’s how you make a recipe your own!
Of course, I realize you may not be used to this sort of thing, so here are some ideas to get the ball rolling. Here’s how I’d adapt this recipe, probably the next time I make it:
- Why not sub half the fat with peanut butter
- I’ve added strawberries to my banana bread, but other berries would work too
- Increase the nuts for a crunchier bread
- Definitely consider using half whole wheat flour for a more fiber-filled version
- The creative in me would love to try coconut flakes in this recipe
This Vegan Banana Nut Bread can be served on it’s on own, but it would be even better to serve a slice with a Vegan Hot Chocolate. It takes breakfast to an entirely different level.
We hope you love this recipe for Vegan Banana Nut Bread as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your photos!
- 2 - 3 ripe bananas (about 1 cup, mashed)
- ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted*
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a large loaf pan** with vegetable spray.
- In a food processor add the bananas, vegan butter, sugar, vanilla, flax egg, and cornstarch. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold the chopped toasted nuts into the flour mixture. Stir until the nuts are coated. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a the crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool before slicing and serving warm. Or allow to cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap and give out as presents to friends, family, and neighbors.
If you’re into Vegan Banana Bread recipes with a creativetwist, you just gotta check these out:
- Moist Vegan Banana Bread Muffins by Kitchen Treaty
- Vegan Banana Bread Cookies by Detoxinista
- Gluten-Free Banana Bread Pancakes by My New Roots
- Oh, and what about these Vegan Banana Bread Muffins by yours truly
Whatever vegan banana recipe you’re delighting in, enjoy!