Start your day out right with these Vegan Blackberry Donuts with Berry Glaze. You’ll be glad you did! I love sharing the best vegan donut recipes, so you might want to check out my Lemon Poppyseed Baked Donuts too!
I used to always pass up on donuts. Can you believe that? I remember one of my first office jobs there would be someone who would go out for donuts every Friday. You had to contribute to the pool if you were going to eat a donut and I never did. Am I a total freakazoid or what?
Well, there maybe more than one person who’s thought that about me, but that’s another story. The thing about donuts was, I couldn’t handle the grease. The combination of the deep fried bread and sugar made me feel awful. It was such an instant reaction, that it was easy for me to just say no.
That’s why I’m sky-high happy about these vegan blackberry donuts…because they’re baked…not fried!
Bye bye, grease!
Bye bye, upset stomach!
Now I can enjoy a baked vegan donut (or two) with everyone else and that makes me break into a happy dance. Seriously. I danced. In the kitchen. Shawn laughed. I’m a constant source of entertainment for him. Hey, someone’s gotta be!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Blackberry Donuts
I actually made these donuts when I found out about Prince. It made me so sad to think of someone so talented being gone too soon. I have been listening to Purple Rain and Kiss, and Raspberry Beret (and others) more than a few times lately.
I made a few attempts to make purple donuts. I started with purple potatoes. Have you seen them? They’re from South America and oh-so colorful! The donuts I made with the purple potatoes were definitely tasty, but they weren’t as purple as I hoped for. That’s why I switched to blackberries.
Besides, I have quite the crush on blackberries right now. My sister has a bunch of blackberry bushes and my plan is to go out there this summer and pick some of them. You’ve got to wear heavy duty gloves when picking blackberries, because the bushes are covered in thorns!
Anyway, I digress. You will love the delicious flavor of blackberries baked right into these vegan donuts. The donuts themselves are only slightly sweet. I like to let the blackberry glaze kick the sweetness up a notch!
If you’re like me, you’ll also love that this batch makes right around 6 -8 donuts. Enough to fill up a regular-sized donut pan. It’s also enough to have around and finish up over a weekend and thereby avoid the temptation during the week. Although, this recipe could be doubled. 🙂
We hope you’ll love these Vegan Blackberry Donuts as much as we do! If you decide to make them, take a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla flavored plant-based milk*
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cups blackberries
- 2 drops purple food coloring**
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oils
- 4 blackberries
- 1 - 3 teaspoons vanilla flavored plant-based milk*
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a donut pan with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl combine the ground flax seeds and water. Stir. Set aside.
- In a separate small microwave-safe bowl add the vegan butter. Heat in a microwave until melted, around 20 seconds. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In your mixing bowl add the sugar, vanilla plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, flax egg mixture, and melted vegan butter. Stir to combine.
- Roughly chop the blackberries. You want plenty of blackberries pieces to be present throughout the donuts.
- Pour flour mixture over the liquid mixture. Drop blackberry pieces over flour and gently stir until the blackberry pieces are coated. Then start incorporating the flour into the liquid mixture. Stir until combined. Add purple food coloring if using.
- Use a spoon to evenly distribute batter in each donut compartment, filling each to the top. This batter should fill up 6 compartments.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until the donuts are done and slightly golden colored on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes.
- Make the Blackberry Glaze by combining the powdered sugar and coconut oil in a bowl. Stir to combine. It will be a dry mixture. Finely chop the blackberries and add them (along with as much of the juice as you can) to the glaze mixture. Stir to combine. Add the plant-based milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Coat each donut with the Blackberry Glaze. Serve warm.
You might also want to check out these other awesome Vegan Baked Donuts:
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts with Berry Glaze by The Awesome Green
- Vegan Flaky Donuts with Berry Filling by 40 Aprons
- Mini Vegan Blueberry Cardamom Donuts by Vegan Yack Attack
- Very Berry Baked Donuts by yours truly!
Whatever donut you’re feasting on, enjoy!