If you’re like me, there’s nothing like snuggling in for the night with a movie and some popcorn. Recently I decided to take my popcorn snacking up a notch with this vegan cinnamon popcorn trail mix. If you have other snack foods in mind, be sure to check out my Vegan Cheesy Popcorn or my Vegan and Gluten Free Chex Mix.
We really enjoy watching movies. Do you?
And I confess, with our big screen TV and surround sound, we end up watching most movies at home. In addition to the comforts of home, we can make our own popcorn and, you know, not have to deal with someone texting or talking on their phone. [insert eye roll here]
That said, every now and then a movie comes along that you just really need to see at the theatre. Because, you know, you need the full cinematic experience. There’s a couple of them coming up this holiday season that we’re looking forward to seeing in the theatre.
One of those movies will be Assasin’s Creed, coming December 21. Mark your calendars!
In fact, you can go see this movie as well. In fact, why not save some money while you’re at it! All you have to do is buy 2 Pop-Secret 10 ct or 10+2 ct bonus packs at Walmart between 12/7/16 – 1/8/17 and get an $8 credit toward a ticket to the Assassin’s Creed movie while supplies last”
Why You’ll Love Vegan Cinnamon Popcorn Trail Mix
You know I’ve got a thing for easy vegan recipes. Right? Well, this one is no exception. I started with Pop-Secret Kettle Corn Popcorn because it’s free of animal products. It also has a slight sweetness to the popcorn that went so well with this recipe. I also like that it’s so accessible. I can buy Pop-Secret at my local grocer store, Walmart, and more!
But I have to doctor things up a bit…to suit my tastes. So, I added a variety of nuts and spices and baked it all together to create a crispy, crunch, cinnamony sweet popcorn delight!
Why You Should Change This Recipe
You know, I love creating recipes, but I also love tweaking them too. I encourage you to do it as well. Make this vegan cinnamon popcorn trail mix your own by changing the recipe to meet your needs. Here’s some ideas if you need a little help getting started:
- Use pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon
- Change up the nuts – how about using peanuts instead of cashews
- Add some pumpkin seeds for a burst of color and flavor
- Throw in some yellow raisins along with the dried cranberries
- Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the syrup
- Sprinkle some more ground cinnamon once you remove it from the oven for extra cinnamon goodness
You can serve this vegan cinnamon popcorn trail mix family style, in one large bowl, or in individual dishes. Also, you can serve this popcorn treat for movie nights, but it also goes great on your holiday dessert table or in treat bags for friends and family!
We hope you love these Vegan Cinnamon Popcorn Trail Mix as much as we do. If you decide to make the recipe, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your creations!
- 1 bag Pop-Secret Kettle Corn, popped
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup almond slivers
- ¼ cup pistachios, shells removed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, agave, or honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Heat your oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pop the popcorn according to directions on the box.
- In a large bowl combine the popped popcorn, cashews, hemp seeds, almond slivers, and pistachios. Stir to combine.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the syrup and coconut oil. Heat for 20 seconds or so, until the oil is melted. Add the spices and stir to combine.
- Pour the cinnamon oil mixture over the popcorn/nut mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are well coated.
- Pour coated popcorn mixture on your prepared pan, spreading it across the entire pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once, about half-way through.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the dried cranberries. Set aside to cool.
- Break into pieces and serve warm. Store in an airtight container or bag.