It’s officially the time of year when we break out the sweaters and jeans and mashed potatoes. I don’t know why, but mashed potatoes are really not a thing in the summer. But we definitely love them in the colder months of the year. That’s why I’m sharing with you this Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe. I know you’re going to love it! And if you’re into vegan potato recipes, why not take a gander at this Vegan Potato Salad recipe or these Loaded Vegan Baked Potatoes. Great stuff!
Why You’ll Love Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
I had two main goals when I made this Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes: 1) it had to be easy and 2) it had to be delicious. I think I achieved both. Maybe you’ll agree when you look at that list of ingredients! It’s pretty minimal. So I achieved the easy part, but is it delicious?
Well, the only way to know for sure is to make it yourself, but all I’m saying is we love it!
I have some members of my family that can’t stand the chunky mashed potatoes. Not us. First, we prefer leaving the peels in – it’s where all the healthy stuff resides. And second, chunky mashed potatoes just leaves more of the flavor of the potato in place.
And I’d probably add a third item to that list – chunky mashed potatoes are just easier. And guess what? We don’t get out the mixer, we just hand mash the potatoes while they’re still hot and voila! Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes!
How to Adapt this Recipe
You know, it’s important to have the freedom in playing around with a recipe. Maybe you prefer some other flavors? I think you should adapt this recipe to fit your needs. Here are some ideas of how you can do that:
- Leave the garlic out if that isn’t your thing
- Sprinkle the top with dried chives
- Use olive oil instead of vegan butter
- If you’re trying to keep your sodium down, use Mrs. Dash in place of salt
- Add some vegan sour cream or plain yogurt when you’re mixing it all together
So, we like serving these Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes with an extra pat (or two) of vegan butter to make them look even more enticing than they already are.
We hope you love this recipe for Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes as much as we do. If you decide to make them, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your photos!
- 5 - 6 Red Potatoes, washed and chopped (not peeled*)
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons vegan butter (or olive oil)
- ¾ cup plant-based milk (plain, not vanilla flavored)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot and fill it with water, so that you have about 1 - 2 inches of water above the potatoes. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Sprinkle the chopped garlic over the top and remove from heat and allow the water to cool so the water isn't too hot for the next step.
- Pour the potatoes into a strainer over the sink (be careful of emerging steam). Place the cooked and drained potatoes in a large bowl. Add the vegan butter (or olive oil) and use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes. Add the plant-based milk and continue to mash and stir.
- Add the salt and stir it so it's mixed throughout.
- Sometimes I'll add an extra pat of butter on the top before serving. Serve warm.
Finally, if you’re into fun vegan potato recipes, check these out:
- Vegan Potato Casserole by Contentedness Cooking
- Vegan Potato and Broccoli Casserole by I Love Vegan
- Herbed Vegan Scalloped Potatoes by Vegan in the Freezer
- Colorful Pumpkin Shepherd’s Pie by yours truly!
Whatever vegan potato recipe you’re dipping your fork into, enjoy!