I’m preparing my Vegan New Year’s Party Plans and beginning with this show-stopping little recipe for Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites. That’s because I want to serve dishes that are easily prepared ahead of time so I can enjoy the party myself while feeling certain that everyone (vegan and non-vegan alike) is having a good time. You certainly minimize all doubt when there’s peanut butter and chocolate involved!
Parties can be so much fun. Don’t you think? I love having friends or family over, sharing laughs over the perfect music playing softly in the background. And I love knowing that my guests are experiencing delicious food.
But there have been times when I’ve toiled over the food so much throughout the day that by the time the party comes, the thought of a party and eating sounds awful.
Hold that thought. I don’t think there’ve been too many times in my life where eating sounded awful. [Sigh] But you know what I mean.
What I’ve learned about planning parties is to serve as many “prepare ahead of time” dishes as possible. This one is high on my list because you can prepare it several days in advance. And that’s where these Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites come in really handy!
The only trick is…not eating them all before the party guests arrive! Trust me, that’s not as easy as it sounds…
Oh look. This one got a little torn apart during the photography session. No one will miss that one at the party, right? And besides, I’m thinking the ones that fall by the side like that have minimal calories, so I’ll just eat it. Yumm!
I have more New Year’s Eve Treats coming your way soon. That way we can start out the Vegan New Year in style!
- 1 cup Rice Chex
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes (can you believe it?)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened Vegan Butter (aka, Earth Balance margarine)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 - 2 cups Ghirardelli's mini dark chocolate chips
- Do NOT heat up your oven. You will not need it for this recipe. Isn't that so cool?
- Pour the Rice Chex and instant mashed potatoes in a food processor and pulse until the Rice Chex are fairly pulverized. It doesn't have to be flour-like, but in the neighborhood. (I like a little crunch to my cookie dough bites so I leave them a little chunky).
- Add the peanut butter and softened Vegan Butter. Pulse for a few more seconds until everything is blended.
- Add the powdered sugar and ground flax seed and pulse a few more times to mix it together.
- Transfer the dough into a medium lidded bowl. Add the chocolate chips and stir so they're evenly incorporated. I like a lot a lot of chocolate chips so I used two cups here.
- Put the lid on the bowl and place it in the fridge for a minimum of an hour so the dough firms up a bit.
- Now, find your favorite podcast, playlist or audio book. I'm listening to JK Rowling's latest book, A Casual Vacancy. Put in your earbuds, get out that dough, hit play and start rolling the dough. Take a bit of the dough between your hands and roll them until a tight ball is formed. Repeat this until all the dough is gone. It should take you 10 - 20 minutes to roll them all. I place the finished Cookie Dough Bites back in the bowl and refrigerate until I'm ready to get them out for serving. Warning: This step can get a little messy...but it's worth it in the end!
- You could even dip these in melted chocolate if you had the gumption, but after looking that word up in the dictionary I don't think I have enough spirited initiative for that!