We’re going a little old school today with this easy Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe. You know I have a thing for strawberries, especially in the summertime. For example, there’s my Strawberry Banana Bread and my Stuffed Strawberries. Do you know what I say about strawberries? Bring ’em on!
When I was a kid strawberry shortcake meant spongy, twinkle-like cakes bought in a package at the store. I never even knew that people made homemade shortcakes until I was in my early twenties. I believe I was at a dinner with my family in St. Louis. Now they know how to cook! I oftentimes refer to them as the Martha Stewarts of the family because they do it all — from master gardeners, to interior decorating with flair, to serving elaborate, show-stopping meals!
I’m not always great at trying new things, so it was a bit of a stretch for me, putting strawberries on a biscuit. I might have made a face or two as I was calculating how long it would take me to get to the grocery store to get a proper spongy replacement.
But then I tried a bite or two and you know what? I really liked it! How could you not like a crispy biscuit covered in sweet strawberries and whipped topping. It’s like the heavens opened and angels were singing. My eyes were opened to a new universe.
I was converted to the old-fashioned strawberry shortcake biscuit. After that my only quest was to veganize it!
What You’ll Love About This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Here’s the good news. Even though I’m calling this recipe old fashioned and vegan, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a difficult dessert.
See? Isn’t that good news?
- comes together nice and easy.
- doesn’t include a long list of exotic ingredients.
- includes berries which makes it a win, no matter how you slice it!
- screams summertime!
- packs up perfectly for a summer party!
I’m including some Coconut Whipped Topping because I’m just in love with that stuff and it goes perfectly on top of these strawberries. I guess that makes the shortcakes almost like the icing on the cake, but somehow that just seems so backwards.
This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe has “easy” in the title for a reason. I make it drop-biscuit style for two reasons:
- I don’t like rolling out the dough and cutting them into specific shapes. It adds more hassle to the process!
- All those peeks and valleys in the drop biscuits creates more crispiness to the outside of the shortcake. It’s perfection!
Sometimes easy truly is the best way to go!
Do you eat your Vegan Strawberry Shortcake with a spoon or a fork?
Obviously, we chose to eat it with a fork, but it works both ways…especially when you get to the bottom of the bowl.
We hope you love this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe as much as we do. If you decide to make them, take a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dairy-free margarine, chopped
- 1¼ cup vanilla flavored plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups strawberries
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Heat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor pulse together the flour, baking powder, 3 tablespoons of sugar and salt. Add the chopped margarine and pulse until course crumbs form.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine the plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Give it a stir to combine and then pour it over the flour mixture. Pulse until a just combined and a sticky dough is formed.
- Drop the dough by rounded spoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheet, trying to keep the biscuits roughly the same size.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime, wash and core your strawberries. Slice the strawberries into a bowl and add the coconut sugar. Use a fork to mash the strawberries a little to help release their juices. Set aside while you're waiting for the biscuits to bake.
- Once the biscuits are done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- To serve: slice the biscuits in half and top with sliced strawberries (and their juices) and Coconut Whipped Topping.
Check out these other amazing Vegan Strawberry Recipes:
- Vegan Strawberry Scones by Fannetastic Food
- Strawberry Tart by Bakerita
- Strawberry Pie by Holy Cow Vegan
- The Best Strawberry Cake Ever by Yours Truly! 🙂
Whatever strawberry dish your devouring…enjoy!