The Lasagna Bolognese Sandwich is riddled with layers of Vegan Bolgnese Lasagna and served between two slices of a crusty bun. This sandwich soon became one of our favorites on the America’s To 10 New Sandwiches Veganized series.
The story you are about to read is true. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent. Wait, I don’t think we’ve changed any names in this post, but you get the point.
Imagine, if you will, a dark, dreary night in January. A hand reaches out, clutches a mouse, extends a finger, and clicks “publish” which sets in motion a series of events, the ramifications of which could not have been foreseen.
America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches. That’s what the published post was titled. A simple topic of pleasure, but screams of terror were heard everywhere, including places with happy names like Fiesta, Texas. Of course, those screams could be attributed to the thrilling rides at Six Flags Over Texas, but that’s beside the point.
Dripping with cholesterol and oozing with fatty cheeses, these rogue sandwiches were set to launch widespread destruction. That was until the Vegan Avengers saved the day. In classic Dragnet fashion, we’ll provide you with just the facts, ma’am.
Original place of publication: A post called America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches by the amazingly popular Endless Simmer
Further promotion: The post received front-page coverage and a wild response from the online news source and content aggregating blog, the Huffington Post. It seemed like these unmasked super heroes, the Vegan Avengers, were toast. No wait, they eat toast. They had their work cut out for them.
Today’s Sandwich: Number Three, the Lasagna Bolognese
Challenge: Transformation to a healthier sandwich
One by one the Vegan Avengers have apprehended these villainous sandwiches and changed them into tasty and healthier versions of their previous selves. It was a tough task, but someone had to do it.
Number Three on the list? The Lasagna Bolognese Sandwich. Riddled with thin layers of marinated, lightly breaded and fried pasta, this sandwich soon became a new target for our Vegan Avenger team. It was a challenge to veganize this sandwich which boasted “a doughy roll joined by sweet peppers, smoked mozzarella and sharp provolone.” Lucky for us, one member of our team was up for the task.
A team of vegan bloggers combined their recipe transforming super skills to rebuild these sandwiches into tasty and healthier members of the American diet. We stand with hands on hips, capes billowing in the wind while calling out the name of our vegan series “America’s Top 10 New Sandwiches…Veganized!” Here’s what we’ve published so far:
- Sandwich No. 10 the Vegan Spuckie Sandwich, prepared by Your Vegan Mom and featured a carrot salad on top of vegan deli slices.
- Sandwich No. 9 the Bulgogi Steak Sandwich by Manifest Vegan showcased tender strips of marinated tofu topped with caramelized onions.
- Sandwich No. 8, the Crispy Drunken Chicken Sandwich showcased two unique vegan recipes by Veggie Num Num and Epicurean Vegan who both provided recipes with sweet, spicy sauces.
- Sandwich No. 7, the Cheesy Mac and Rib Sandwich featuring a thick barbecue sauce grilled over thinly sliced tofu and served with caramelized onions and oh-so-vegan mac and cheese.
- Sandwich No. 6, The Pibil Torta Sandwich spotlighting crusty bolillo bread spread with a black bean paste, marinated wild mushrooms and finished with a layer of pickled red onions.
- Sandwich No. 5, The Fried Chicken Sandwich, a cashew cream encrusted fried *chick’n* patty topped with a lip-smacking, zesty slaw.
- Sandwich No. 4, The Maple, features two hot slices of maple-currant french toast loaded with a savory tempeh, white bean sausage and smothered with “mapleized” onions and vegan chipotle cheddar cheese.
Today’s recipe, The Lasagna Bolognese, was veganized, developed, and photographed by caped crusader Mandi of Chic Vegan.
While the bolognese sauce is cooking, prepare the béchamel sauce.
Time to Make the Lasagna!