I’m not a big fan of coffee. Maybe I’m just jealous because I can’t have caffeine and I never developed a taste for the stuff, but I like the idea of having drinks with fancy names. Lattes? Mochas? That just sounds so good! So, these Baked Chocolate Mocha Sprinkle Donuts are really my way of getting the fancy coffee name fix without the caffeine. Sometimes I can be so shallow. But I get a pass on being shallow because this is my birthday month!
Don’t you just love birthdays? People are nice to you, give you gifts, sing you songs, and to top it all off you get to end the day with cake. What more could you ask for in a day?
Except maybe donuts…
A lot of people can have cake for their birthday, but I like to extend the celebrating beyond just cake. Hmm, maybe I should have called these Birthday Donuts?
No matter what you call them, these Baked Chocolate Sprinkle Donuts are the best! Of course, anything with sprinkles are pretty good in my book.
So here’s to happy birthdays, donuts, and everything in between!
Chocolate Mocha Baked Donuts
- 2/3 cups cocoa
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant mocha I used Starbucks Via Instant Mocha Flavored Coffee
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Chocolate Sprinkles or whatever sprinkles suit your fancy!
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two standard donut pans or just be prepared to make two batches if you only have only one.
- Combine the cocoa, flours, baking soda, baking powder, instant coffee, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, ground flax seeds, corn starch, water, and vanilla. Stir and then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the margarine and brown sugar. Stir vigorously to combine.
- Add the margarine mixture to the flour mixture and stir. Now add the milk mixture and give the batter one final stir (no need to over stir this batter).
- Use a tablespoon to spoon the batter into the donut pan. Fill each one at least 3/4 full.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 12 - 15 minutes. Feel free to use the standard toothpick method to determine doneness.
- When they're ready, remove the donuts from the oven, and allow them to cool slightly before removing them from the pan. You may need to loosen the edges of the donuts to nudge them out of the pan.
- While the donuts are cooling, prepare the chocolate topping by combining 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 22 seconds, stir, and repeat in 11 second increments until the chocolate is melted. Add the powdered sugar and stir again. Add soy milk one tablespoon at a time until you get a desired consistency.
- Once the donuts have cooled completely, ice each donut and dip in chocolate (or colored) sprinkles immediately (while the frosting is still soft).