Have you ever thought of writing a book? Do you have that novel inside of you just yearning to make its way on the page? Have you ever decided today’s the day I’m going to get it started, only to sit in front of the computer with a blank screen staring back at you? Well, if any of these scenarios sound familiar, today’s podcast is for you! Listen to my interview with author Cathy Yardley on the art of Becoming a Writer.
My Interview With Cathy Yardley
Today I’m sharing with you my interview with Cathy Yardley, author of multiple fiction and non-fiction books and writing coach. We talk about the creative writing process and how to handle hurdles, both internal and external. Cathy explains that oftentimes fear is the main culprit keeping us from putting word on the page. As a creative writing coach, she encourages her clients to put asides concerns of being a best-selling author and to just write. She references a pretty cool quote to make her point:
If you’re not enough without the gold medal, you’ll never be enough with it. — John Candy’s character in the movie Cool Runnings
Anyone who quotes Cool Runnings is pretty great in my book. Whether you’re interested in writing a novel or a cookbook, or whatever creative endeavor you’re in, telling yourself that you’re enough just as you are is a great place to begin.
This podcast episode is perfect for people consider writing a novel, e-book, or even a blog post.
Here are some of the highlights of today’s interview:
- How Cathy started her career as a writer. “To know if you’re a writer, she said, “just try doing something else.”
- How to face your fears about becoming a writer
- Tips on surviving NaNoWriMo
- The art of self discovery through the act of writing your novel
- The concepts of beautiful design and how to apply this to our lives
- How taking the time for things that are important to you is a way of showing yourself that you matter.
This podcast episode talks about several resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Find Cathy’s Writing Coaching Services at Rock Your Writing
- Learn more about Cathy Yardley on her site
- Order Cathy’s book, Write Every Day, to learn more about overcoming fears and creating daily writing habits
- Order Cathy’s book, Rock Your Plot, to learn Cathy’s tips on creating, following, and managing a plot
- Learn about future podcasts and the Namely Marly blog by subscribing to my newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the top of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
- My next podcast will be an interview with Carissa Carter on the topic of Creativity!
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the podcast episodes by heading on over to iTunes to subscribe to the Namely Marly Podcast. While you’re there, provide a review and rating is a great way to help other podcast listeners find the Namely Marly podcast too!
That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!