Meet my new best friend, Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Dip. Call me fickle, but any recipe that combines my two favorite flavors with a little bit of healthy is my new favorite recipe.
I’m on a quest. Well, to be completely honest, I’m on several quests. It can make life complicated, but I get bored easily. I do the same things with books – I usually have several going at a time.
So, one of my quests in life happens to be sharing recipes that involve Chickpeas. I’m constantly thinking how to include them in unusual ways…and to share them with my unsuspecting family. My poor family. Good thing they’re stuck with me – I don’t like eating alone!
This recipe can begin like this, but it means you’ll need to start the night before.
Or you can just grab one of these. It “can” make life easier.
The funny thing is, I didn’t even used to like these little legumes when I was a kid. I think that’s because my mom always called them garbanzo beans. It just didn’t do it for me. Now, as an adult, I call them chickpeas and I like them. Who knew. Sorry, Shakespeare, but I guess the name does matter!
Of course, who wouldn’t like chickpeas when they’re smushed all together with peanut butter and a little agave nectar?
Then I recently found a new product – Vegan Mini Chocolate Chips. Come to mama!
Not only are they mini, the flavor is amazing.
So combine all this together and what do you get? My new best friend, that’s what. Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Dip.
How do you eat a dip like this? I’m glad you asked. This is great to serve with sliced apples, crackers, animal crackers, or my favorite, rice cakes.
I’m always trying to give up sugar. You may know by now that I do more trying than succeeding. But the thing is, I like a little something sweet after a meal. This peanut butter dip served on a rice cake is a perfect little after-meal sweetness, while still keeping the calories in check.
So, here’s to new best friends…especially when it involves peanut butter, chocolate, and a little bit of healthy!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Dip
- 1 14.5 oz can Chickpeas (or 2 cups dried, soaked, cooked, and cooled Chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life’s Mini Chocolate Chips*)
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas and place them in the bowl of your food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
- Pulse for a second or two until things get kinda dicey. Use a spatula to force the stray bits back into the fray. There’s no getting away from this!
- Now put your food processor on pulse and walk away. Not forever, but for at least 30 – 40 seconds. Go wash the dishes, get your rice cakes ready, or maybe a back flip or two. The point is, you want all the ingredients to be nice and smooth and there’s nothing like 40 seconds in a food processor to make that happen.
- By the way, this last step is optional. Add chocolate chips or not. Either way, this is a delicious recipe!