These scrumptious vegan shortbread cookies are dipped in chocolate and sprinkles for the perfect holiday treat. These rich, crispy cookies are easy to make and so tasty to eat!
For a different look, try dipping these cookies in vegan white chocolate.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year — when you get to bake cookies and share them with others. Right? That’s what it’s all about! OK. I know we have snow and stockings hung by the mantel too, but you and me? We know the real deal. It’s all about the cookies. It’s always been all about the cookies.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan Butter — I recommend Earth Balance buttery sticks, or you can make your own dairy-free butter
- Vanilla extract
- Flour — I recommend using all-purpose flour
- Vodka — I’m using the same principle as with my vegan pie crust recipe: the vodka adds moisture but evaporates as it bakes, leaving a flakier crust behind
- Chocolate — Use dairy-free semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- Coconut oil
- Sprinkles — This is optional, but it adds a fun decorative touch
- Cream Butter and Sugar until smooth. Then add vanilla and salt.
- Add flour to create a batter then add vodka (if using),
- Roll out the dough and cut into rectangles. Place rectangles on a baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes
- Dip cooled cookies in chocolate and sprinkles.
It’s fun to make these chocolate- dipped shortbread cookies! Here are the steps:
Step One: Cream Butter and Sugar
In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt at medium speed just until smooth.
Step Two: Add Flour
Add flour and mix at low speed until combined. Add the vodka and mix until just combined.
Divide the dough in half and shape it into two balls.
Step Three: Roll Out the Dough & Chill
On a lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll out one of the dough balls to a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut this into 2- by 1-inch rectangles. Transfer cookies onto prepared baking sheets, spacing an inch or so apart. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Use a fork to prick each cookie several times and then place the pan in the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes.
Once the unbaked cookies have chilled. and the oven is preheated, place it in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. The edges of the cookies will be golden. Remove the pan from the oven let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Step Five: Dip in Chocolate
After the cookies have cooled, line a baking sheet with wax paper. Add the chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute. Then place a plate over the bowl and set it aside for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to melt. Stir the chocolate until smooth.
Dip each cookie halfway into the melted chocolate, letting any excess drip off, and place on the prepared pan. Let the cookie sit for a few minutes, then dip it in the sprinkles and return it to the pan to let the chocolate set. At room temperature, it will take about an hour for the chocolate to set. You can speed things up by placing the pan in the fridge for around 20 minutes.
Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days. The cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat together the butter, sugar, and salt at medium speed just until fluffy.
- Add flour and mix at low speed until combined. You should be left with a workable dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll out one of the dough into a 9 x 10-inch rectangle. Cut this into 3 x 1-inch rectangles. Transfer cookies onto prepared baking sheets, spacing an inch or so apart. Refrigerate the pans for 30 minutes.
- Optional: Use a fork to prick each cookie several times.
- Once the cookie dough is chilled and you're ready to bake, preheat oven 325°F.
- Then bake until edges are golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks and cool completely.
- After the cookies have cooled, line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Add chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute, then cover with a plate and let it sit for a few minutes for the chocolate to melt. Then stir until smooth.
- Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate, let excess drip off, and place on a prepared baking sheet. Let stand for a minute or so and then dip in sprinkles. The return to the prepared baking sheet and leave it there until chocolate is set, about 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2014 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.