Why not have yourself some merry little chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies? It’s the holiday season so why not cover those cookies with sprinkles too!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year — when you get to bake cookies and share them with others. Right? That’s what it’s all about? OK. I know there’s snow and stockings hung by the mantel too, but you and me? We know the real deal. It’s all about the cookies. It’s always been all about the cookies.
My favorite cookie to make during the holidays is Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls. I call them cookies because they’re bite-size, delicious, and calorie-free.
OK. That last part I made up, but the rest is my story and I’m sticking to it.
I’ll probably make some of those Peanut Butter Balls, but I thought to mix things up I’d try my hand at covering something else in chocolate — these shortbread cookies.
What I Love About these Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
I’m sure some people might look at a multi-step cookie process as a little laborious. Not me. All I see before me is the opportunity to listen to some great Christmas music! If you haven’t tried baking cookies with Mariah Carey singing All I Want for Christmas in the background, you don’t know what you’re missing. Throw on some Christmas lights and have a little egg nog on the side and you’ve got yourself one full-fledged party!
So, basically, what I’m saying is what’s not to love? Oh wait. I said that already. OK. Let me try this instead. Bring on the holiday parties!
I added a few festive sprinkles to make these cookies even more cheerful. Do you fee the cheer? Me too!
The only thing that would make these cookies a little more cheerful would be if you made them too. It’d be just like those days in junior high when your friend would call and say, “Hey, I’m wearing my pink sweater today. You want to wear yours?” Although I wasn’t really into being matchy-matchy with my friends. Maybe because I didn’t have a pink sweater. [sob!]
Anyway, I’d love it if you made these cookies too and then share a photo with me on Instagram using #NamelyMarly so I can see them too!
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free margarine Earth Balance works great, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 8 ounces high-quality dairy-free semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Sprinkles for decoration
- Heat your oven 325°F and line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl use a mixer to beat together the margarine, sugar, vanilla, and salt at medium speed just until smooth. Add flour and mix at low speed until combined. Add the vodka and mix until a just combined. You should be left with a workable dough. Divide the dough in half and shape into two balls.
- On lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll out one of the dough balls to 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut this into 2- by 1-inch rectangles. Transfer cookies onto prepared baking sheets, spacing an inch or so apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use a fork to prick each cookie several times and then place the cookie sheet in the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes. Then bake until edges are golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes, then transfer to racks and cool completely.
- After the cookies have cooled, line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. In a medium heatproof bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, melt half chocolate and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add remaining chocolate, remove bowl from heat, and stir occasionally until smooth. Add additional coconut oil if needed. Pour the melted chocolate into a small bowl.
- Dip each cookie halfway into chocolate, let excess drip off, and place on prepared baking sheet. Let stand for a minute or so and then dip in sprinkles. The return to the prepared baking sheet and leave it there until chocolate is set, about 1 hour. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
I love chocolate-dipped cookies, especially during the holidays. In fact, here are some of my favorite chocolate-dipped cookies from around the web:
- Joy the Baker made these delicious Dipped Crisp Peanut Butter Cookies. Come to mama!
- Jaclyn at Cooking Classy made these White Chocolate Dipped Ginger Cookies. Gorgeous!
- My friend Averie made these Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies. To. Die. For!
- And for some serious change of pace, check out my Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons. I have a thing for chocolate and coconut together.
Thanks to Epicurious for the inspiration behind today’s cookie. I’m participating in their holiday cookie contest and could win a Vitamix Blender. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
In the meantime, whatever cookie you’re making, enjoy!
Oh, and Happy Holidays too!