If you like a tasty, inexpensive, and filling vegan food, you’re going to like this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe. We have a fun name for this recipe (I’ll share it with you below), but no matter what you call it, just be sure to call me for dinner! How about some delicious vegan Mexican-themed side dishes for these burritos, why not add a batch of this Easy Vegan Queso? Or how about some of my favorite Vegan 7 Layer Dip? Mmmm. So good!
Do you want to know what we call these burritos? We call them Shawnchiladas. You may be wondering, what? Why?
First, my hubby’s name is Shawn. But I know you know that by now. And he makes this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe ALL the time. I mean, you could stop by our house on a Thursday afternoon and there’s about a 99% chance there’s a batch of this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe in the fridge.
Family comes to visit? He makes this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe. We go to visit family? Within a day or so we’re in the kitchen and he’s making another batch of this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe. That’s how much we love it.
Eventually it just became easier to call it Shawnchiladas. Even though they’re burritos, not enchiladas. And even though calling them Shawnitos would be more accurate, it just didn’t have the same shazam as Shawnchiladas.
I feel like I was holding out on you, not sharing this recipe, so it had to be done. The trick was getting down into recipe format. That’s the thing when you’ve made something over and over for years, it feels more like art and science. But we cracked the code and we’re bringing to you today!
Why You’ll Love a Crispy Black Bean Burrito
I think over the years Shawn has really perfected this recipe. It used to be only black beans, but now he actually includes two different beans — black beans and pinto beans. In addition there’s rice, potatoes, and good things like seasonings and salsa.
So, if you’re into flavor, you’re going to love these burritos. If you’re into speedy, filling meals, you’re going to love this recipe. If you’re into healthy meals made quick, you’re going to love these burritos! Beans and rice and potatoes add fiber to the recipe along with healthy, complex carbs and other phytonutrients.
I think I made my point. There’s a lot to love about this Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe.
Be the Change
This vegan Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe has been perfected over the years. I mean, at least 10 years. That’s how long we’ve been eating them. That said, it doesn’t mean it couldn’t use something extra special to make it more YOU! That’s what I like to say at least, that a recipe isn’t really yours until you’ve adapted it. So, if you’re new to the idea of changing recipes around, here are some suggestions for how you could change this one up:
- Shawn loves to make this recipe without a lot of fuss, however, sometimes he’ll go the extra mile and use real chopped potatoes (instead of frozen) and real brown rice (instead of instant). That’s when it’s my favorite!
- Sometimes we serve it without the crispy shell, when we’re in a real hurry
- Why not add a little quinoa to the mix?
- I think this would go perfectly with Fresh Corn Salsa
- To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free tortilla
- I’m a big fan of cilantro, but Shawn? Not so much. If you’re like me, feel free to add some chopped cilantro to the rice mixture
- I’m also a big fan of cumin and again, Shawn is not. He’s a super taster, what can I say? Anyway, adding some cumin to the spices gives it an extra “taco-ey” flavor that I love!
Use these ideas to make this recipe truly your own. We love serving this with some of our favorite Vegan Guacamole. To make things really interesting, our Hibiscus Margaritas add a nice touch too!
This easy Crispy Black Bean Burrito recipe is made with brown rice, potatoes, corn, and salsa. Served in a crispy burrito shell and topped with guacamole! It's good, clean, fun-eating food that you'll want to serve on repeat!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 10 flour tortillas
Cook instant rice according to instructions.
Add vegetable oil to a large skillet or pot. Sauté potatoes and diced onion on medium heat until tender.
Add beans, corn, cooked rice and spices to potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 mins.
Add mixture to warm tortilla and garnish with salsa, veggie cheese and guacamole.
Optional: Heat a skillet to medium-high and brown burritos until crispy.
You can freeze half of this batch to use for later.
If you have leftovers, you can serve as a dip with salsa and tortilla chips.
If you’re into vegan Bean Burrito recipes, check these out:
- Easy Vegan Bean Burritos by VegKitchen
- Black Bean Burrito Bowl by Vegan Richa
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos by Kim’s Cravings
- Or get really wild with these Vegan Chicken Taquitos by little ol’ me!
Whatever vegan burrito you’re biting into, enjoy!