In honor of my love for all things peanut butter, announcing these Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls. If you love creamy peanut butter with a bit of a crispy texture dipped in chocolate, you’re in luck. But, hey, if you just prefer chocolate and peanut butter together in any shape or form, you will definitely wan to try my Easy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie or how about Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies.
I can remember the first time I had a chocolate covered peanut butter ball. It was better than just about anything else I’d ever had. I think the theme from Romeo and Juliet was playing in the background.
OK. Maybe I’m exaggerating a little.
What surprised me was to learn how many different variations there are on these treats. I’ve experimented with them myself and here are some different versions of chocolate covered peanut butter goodness that I’ve come up with:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Balls – these are creamy and soft in the middle
- Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls – the recipe in this post is for a firmer peanut butter center
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites – this is a very healthy version of the traditional peanut butter ball
- Almost Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups – and the healthy continues with these date-sweetened peanut butter centers. I made these into cups, but they could easily be done rolled into balls
As you can see, there are lots of ways to enjoy and celebrate with chocolate and peanut butter!
You’ll Love Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Not only are these treats a perfect combination of flavors, they’re also gluten-free. How cool is that! I like to think these are easy to make, but I realize they’re a little bit process oriented. You make these in several steps, and the dipping in chocolate can feel cumbersome. But I’ve learned to just put on a good podcast or some music, and have fun it it.
Think about it, the joy of being in the kitchen is that you’re up, standing, and moving around. We’re all a bit too sedentary these days so the kitchen can be a break from that.
Also, I’m sure you’ve heard of the health benefits of chocolate and peanut butter. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and other good-for-your nutrients. And Dr. Greger on Nutrition Facts has talked about peanut butter. He points to studies showing peanut butter can actually have health benefits like reduced inflammation.
So, go ahead and add these Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls to your list of recipes to try. You’ll be glad you did!
How to Change Up This Recipe
Recipes are great and all, but it’s so much more fun to cook when you adapt recipes to meet your needs. Here are some ideas to get the ball rolling in adapting this recipe:
- Try using almond butter instead of peanut butter
- You can double dip these in chocolate for extra chocolatey goodness
- Add rice crispy cereal to the peanut butter for even more crunch
- Throw in a pinch of cinnamon to the peanut butter mix
- Adapt the level of sweetness to meet your needs by reducing the amount of sugar
I think I learned my passion for changing recipes around from my mom. She was always changing up recipes. In fact, I think she hardly ever even used a recipe in any exact fashion.
In fact, my mom made some peanut butter balls for our recent family dinner and that’s when I had this crystal-clear moment of inspiration to make Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls. It was either that or my sister smacking me in the head. Either way, I thought it would be fun to try a gluten free, vegan version of this recipe. Sometimes I use graham cracker crumbs in this recipe, but this time I decided to try something a little different. Corn chex crumbs. Say that three times fast! Or you could use Rice Chex crumbs if you have those handy.
I love sharing these Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls on our holiday dessert table, as gifts for neighbors or friends, or even just taking to work and sharing with others.
We hope you love this recipe for Crispy Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls as much as well do! If you decide to make them, snap a shot and use #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your creations!
- 1 cup Rice or Corn Chex Cereal finely ground
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
Place rice or corn chex in either a blender or food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely ground.
Stir together peanut butter and margarine until well blended. Add brown sugar and stir. Add finely ground chex meal and stir until well combined. Roll into bit-size balls. Refrigerate for about an hour.
Use your preferred method to melt chocolate chips. I cook the chocolate over very low heat in a small saucepan because I like keeping the chocolate warm as I'm dipping the peanut butter balls. Next add the coconut oil, beginning with one tablespoon. Stir together and stir until well-blended. If you need more oil to make the chocolate smooth enough, add more here.
Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Next, dip peanut butter balls in the melted chocolate using a fork so you can tap off excess chocolate.
Lay chocolate covered balls on waxed paper until chocolate coating is firm. I place the cookie sheet with peanut butter balls in the fridge to help speed up the process...so I can begin my favorite part - the eating.
If you love delicious peanut butter ball recipes, you just have to check these out:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls by Epicurious
- Buckeyes by Joy of Baking
- ChooseVeg’s Peanut Butter Balls
- Or how about these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites by little ol’ me!
Whatever chocolate peanut butter balls you’re chomping on, enjoy!