Ultimately the easiest and healthiest dessert ever, this two-ingredient, easy banana nice cream recipe (basically banana ice cream) is dairy free and still full of flavor. Forget about the ice cream maker! All you’ll need is a freezer and a food processor (or blender). The results? A silky smooth frozen banana ice cream! Make it today and serve with chocolate syrup!
I love a good sweet treat that’s 100% natural and no added sugars. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make this banana ice cream recipe.
What Bananas for Nice Cream?
Use ripe bananas for the most flavorful and sweet nice cream. Look for bananas with brown spots. You can use yellow bananas, but you may need to add sweetener.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Bananas — I prefer using ripe bananas.
- Macadamia nuts (optional) — These nuts are optional but they add lots of creaminess!
How to Make Nice Cream
- Slice the bananas
- Freeze the bananas (I put mine in a freezer bag)
- Place frozen banana chunks in a blender. Let them sit for a minute or two to get softer.
- Add macadamia nuts for an even creamier result
- Pulse until smooth.
Wondering how to make banana nice cream? Well, there’s only one secret ingredient to this delicious two-ingredient recipe. If you haven’t already guessed it, bananas are the miracle ingredient here.
Lucky for me, a recent trip to Costco resulted in a big bunch of ripe bananas. I love vegan shopping at Costco!
What is Nice Cream?
NiceCream means “nana ice cream.” It’s basically frozen bananas blended and whipped into ice cream. Is nice cream vegan you may ask? Well, yes, it is because it’s made entirely with plant-based ingredients.
Can you use a blender to make frozen banana ice cream?
Yes, you can use a blender to make nice cream. In fact, one of the best things about this ice cream banana dessert is you don’t even need a fancy ice cream freezer to make it. No pre-cooking the ice cream mix in a sauce pan either. How much easier could this be!
How long does it take for bananas to freeze in the freezer?
I’ve found you need to allow at least two hours for banana slices to freeze in the freezer. Here’s how to freeze bananas for nice cream: place banana slices on a tray and place that tray in the freezer. Then transfer to a freezer bag after an hour, that way the slices won’t get stuck to each other.
Or you can place banana slices directly into a freezer bag, just try to lay the bag flat so the bananas freeze in an individual layer.
You can serve this frozen dessert more like banana soft serve, or freeze it and serve it out with an ice cream scoop. It’s a versatile recipe and you can add your own favorite ingredients and toppings like chocolate syrup or peanut butter drizzle.
Once they’re frozen, put banana slices in a food processor or blender and blend away. After a minute or two, the frozen banana chunks magically transform into very creamy, albeit rich, healthy homemade ice cream.
Nice Cream Flavors
There are so many ways to create delicious nice cream flavors! Here are some of my favorites:
- Add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries for a colorful and tasty dessert
- Substitute 1/2 cup of full-fat coconut milk for the macadamia nuts for a creamy, coconut-infused flavor
- Of course, adding chocolate will make this recipe so good. I like adding around 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture while blending. You may need to add some sweetener too, so be sure to take a taste test.
- Strawberry nice cream is easy to make by adding 1/2 cup chopped frozen strawberries to the blender.
When adding any frozen fruit to a blender, be sure to let it sit for a moment or two before blending, to help it soften up.
And if you’re like me and can’t follow a recipe to save yourself, you’ll like the fact that I recommend a second ingredient. I’ve found adding just a few macadamia nuts makes a big, creamy impact on this vegan banana ice cream recipe!
Also, adding some fun toppings help too!
More Frozen Recipes
Vegan Banana Nice Cream
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nuts (optional)
- Peel bananas and cut into 1–2" slices. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 hours.
- Once frozen, add the bananas to a food processor or blender. Add academia nuts if using. Pulse until smooth.
- Scoop the banana ice cream into serving dishes or transfer to an airtight container and return to the freezer. Allow softening for a few minutes before scooping and serving.
- Optional: Drizzle with chocolate syrup and/or granola.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2010 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.