Ultimately the easiest and healthiest dessert ever, this two ingredient, easy banana nice cream recipe (basically banana ice cream) is dairy free and still full of flavor. Forget about the ice cream maker! All you’ll need is a freezer and a food processor (or blender). The results? A silky smooth frozen banana ice cream! Make it today and serve with chocolate syrup!
I’ve read over the last month or two about a concept of 1 or 2-ingredient ice cream. When I first saw the idea of using bananas for ice cream, I thought to myself, “Impossible!” I had been trying to make good, creamy vegan ice cream for a long time at that point. Surely I needed more ingredients, not less!
But the truth is, less is actually more. These banana nice cream recipes are legit!
How to Make Nice Cream
Wondering how to make banana nice cream? Well, there’s only one secret ingredient to this delicious two-ingredient recipe. If you haven’t already guessed it, bananas are the miracle ingredient here.
Lucky for me, a recent trip to Costco resulted in a big bunch of ripe bananas. I love vegan shopping at Costco!
Here’s how to make frozen banana ice cream:
- Slice the bananas
- Freeze the bananas (I put mine in a freezer bag)
- Place frozen banana chunks in a food processor (or blender)
- Add macadamia nuts for an even creamier result
- Pulse until smooth.
Can you use a blender to make frozen banana ice cream?
Yes, you can use a blender to make nice cream. In fact, one of the best things about this ice cream banana dessert is you don’t even need a fancy ice cream freezer to make it. No pre-cooking the ice cream mix in a sauce pan either. How much easier could this be!
Simply add the frozen banana chunks to a blender and blend away.
Better yet? No added sugars!
What is Nice Cream?
NiceCream means “nana ice cream.” It’s basically frozen bananas blended and whipped into ice cream. Is nice cream vegan you may ask? Well, yes, it is because it’s made entirely with plant-based ingredients.
You can serve this frozen dessert more like banana soft serve, or freeze it and serve it out with an ice cream scoop. It’s a versatile recipe and you can add your own favorite ingredients and toppings like chocolate syrup or peanut butter drizzle.
How long does it take for bananas to freeze in the freezer?
I’ve found you need to allow at least two hours for banana slices to freeze in the freezer. Here’s how to freeze bananas for nice cream: place banana slices on a tray and place that tray in the freezer. Then transfer to a freezer bag after an hour, that way the slices won’t get stuck to each other.
Or you can place banana slices directly into a freezer bag, just try to lay the bag flat so the bananas freeze in an individual layer.
Once they’re frozen, put banana slices in a food processor or blender and blend away. After a minute or two, the frozen banana chunks magically transform into very creamy, albeit rich, healthy homemade ice cream!
Nice Cream Flavors
There are so many ways to create delicious nice cream flavors! Here’s some of my favorites:
- Add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries for a colorful and tasty dessert
- Substitute 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk for the macadamia nuts for a creamy, coconut-infused flavor
- Of course, adding chocolate will make this recipe so good. I like adding around 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture while blending. You may need to add some sweetener too, so be sure to take a taste test.
- Strawberry nice cream is easy to make by adding 1/2 cup chopped frozen strawberries to the blender.
When adding any frozen fruit to a blender, be sure to let it sit for a moment or two before blending, to help it soften up.
And if you’re like me and can’t follow a recipe to save yourself, you’ll like the fact that I recommend a second ingredient. I’ve found adding just a few macadamia nuts makes a big, creamy impact on this vegan banana ice cream recipe!
Also, adding some fun toppings help too!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Two Ingredient Banana Nice Cream
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nuts (optional)
- Peel bananas and cut into 1 – 2″ slices. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 hours.
- Once frozen, add the bananas to a food processor or blender. Add academia nuts if using. Pulse until smooth.
- Scoop the banana ice cream into serving dishes or transfer to an airtight container and return to the freezer. Allow to soften for a few minutes before scooping and serving.
- Optional: Drizzle with chocolate syrup and/or granola.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you love a frozen banana recipe, be sure and check out my Frozen Banana Bites. Just imagine chocolate-covered frozen banana slices with a little bit of peanut butter thrown in for good measure. It’s perfect.
There’s also my Chocolate Dipped Banana Popsicles too! It’s a combination of bananas and peanut butter, frozen, then drizzled in chocolate.
And my Skinny Vegan Pina Colada cocktail uses bananas as well!
Whatever banana recipe you’re consuming, enjoy!