I used to be able to count down the number of days, and then hours until the Fourth of July. Of course, I was eight. What kid doesn’t look forward to this holiday with great anticipation? I’m still excited about it, but not because I can’t wait to shoot off some fireworks. Now I’m more excited about our annual traditional family picnic at my sister’s house and the Fourth of July Favorite Foods I’ll be bringing. I love the opportunity to show off how good vegan eats can be!
I don’t know what that says about me — that what I’m looking forward to most is good food. I love this quote by Erma Bombeck, but of course, just about everything she said was quoteworthy.
You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism. — Erma Bombeck
So if I’m going to be a true patriot and overeat like the rest of America, I might as well make it some of the Best Vegan Eats Around! Here are links to some of our favorites.
- Patriotic Vegan Cupcakes — Delicious vanilla cupcakes with a sweet filling and festive toppings, proves that even vegans can be patriotic!
- Vegan Broccoli Salad – a favorite recipe from my pre-vegan days, this veganized version includes a sweet dressing combined with raisins, sunfloweVr seeds, and mesquite smoked tempeh to replace the bacon traditionally found in this recipe
- Blueberry Bean Burger — go ahead and have a chuckle at the idea of including blueberries in a bean burger recipe. It is kind of funny to think about. But I’ll have the last laugh when you give it a try and realize how good it is. Don’t worry, I won’t be laughing at you, I’ll be laughing with you!
- Watermelon Slushy — Watermelon and Independence Day seem to go hand-in-hand, which is why this Watermelon Slushy is a perfect fit for your holiday dinner.
- Vegan Texas Sheet Cake — This dessert is almost a requirement for our family picnics. If I don’t make it, my mom will. Either way, it’s absolutely delicious and will get rave reviews from everyone in the area, vegan and non-vegan alike.
I realized while searching for these recipes that I haven’t posted my favorite Vegan Potato Salad Recipe. What a shame. I have a feeling it’s because we eat it all before I get a chance to take a shot. Don’t worry, it’s a problem I plan to fix soon. Very soon.
Happy Independence Day to you all!