I’m always in search of the best side dish for our family dinners and my current favorite is this one that features Green Beans with Balsamic Vinaigrette Glaze.
I can’t stop thinking about green beans.
My whole life I only ate the kind that came from a can. And I was quite fine with that, thank you very much.
Sure, I saw the long, stemmy looking bagged ones sold in the produce section. But I was a dedicated canned bean green kind of girl. Yes, it’s true that I grew up in smalltown USA, but I swear I’d never seen green beans sold in a bag when I was growing up.
Maybe it’s some sort of repressed memory.
But there’s something I have to tell you. It happened about a year ago. I finally broke down and bought the fresh variety. Here I was with some fresh green beans in my cloth grocery bag. I have to admit, it felt kind of cool. I was urbane. Swanky even. Me and my fresh green beans walking out the store and heading for the car.
What could be better?
The problem was, I didn’t know exactly what to do with them once I got home.
So I ate them raw.
They’re tasty in their natural state. I chopped them up and put them in salads. Not too bad.
But then one day I decided to steam them. It took me a while to get it just right, but once I did? Well, that’s when the first spark of obsession began.
Then I started experimenting with different glazes. I tried dairy-free margarine with a little bit of sea salt on top. Next came the olive oil with a dash of garlic powder.
That leads me to an important question. Is there anything that doesn’t taste absolutely divine with olive oil and garlic?
Then one day I threw together this Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing which I lightly drizzled over the top of the freshly steamed green beans.
And there you have it. Like a baby robin escaping the nest; my obsession was now fully-fledged. There was no going back.
The ease at which a thing goes from thought to reality sort of tips it over the edge from indulgence to obsession.
A couple of minutes of steaming time and glaze preparation and voilà! That mound of green beans is transformed to a visual, edible and obsessible feast! I know, “obsessible” is not technically a word, but it works.
Green Beans with Balsamic Vinaigrette Glaze
- 1 pound fresh green beans , washed and the stem end removed
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Use the steamer basket insert and place it in a saucepan, filled with water just below the steamer basket. Bring water to a boil and then add prepared green beans. Place lid on steamer and steam until tender, around 6 - 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, get out a small bowl and combine the mayo, balsamic vinegar, agave nectar, and sea salt. Stir and set aside.
- Use tongs to remove green beans from steamer basket to a lidded container. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and then use tongs to toss the sauce throughout.
- Serve warm. Store in a lidded container in the fridge for up to 3 - 5 days.
That’s it. My favorite obsession of the moment. Stay tuned. I’m sure I’ll find something new to fixate on soon!