Today’s a happy day because I get to share with you my review for Kathy Patalsky’s Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen Cookbook. And a recipe for her Kale Salad too! This is where I start my happy dance.
I have a lot of cookbooks in my house, but this one is sitting proudly on my kitchen counter. There’s something about seeing that bright, beautiful cover with the big, happy print that just makes me smile.
Do you see why? And it’s full of beautiful photos and over 220 inspiring plant-based recipes as well. You can tell, because it says so right on the cover.
Kathy is such an inspiring person. She has her own Healthy Happy Life blog where she shares her vegan creations and other stories, and then she also created and manages Finding Vegan, a photo sharing site for vegan recipes. Kathy Patalksy was featured on a Namely Marly interview way back when she was first starting Finding Vegan. Now both Healthy Happy Life and Finding Vegan are resources for thousands, if not millions of people, vegan and non-vegans alike, around the world!
Here’s one of my favorite quotes from that interview:
I’m so lucky because I’m doing two things I love – I’m working with food and I’m doing photography. — Kathy Patalsky
Talk about an inspiration!
Kathy offered me the opportunity to share with you one of the recipes from the book. I’ve been a late-comer to the whole Kale Party, but now that I’m here, I love the stuff. And I’m making up for lost time with this 5-Step Raw Kale Salad. It’s a perfect “getting ready for summer” meal.
I hope you check out the Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen Cookbook. And if you do, I think you’ll love it just as much as we do!
I hope you love this HHVK Raw Kale Salad as much as we do!
5-Step Raw Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- ¾ cups shredded carrots
- 1 small avocado diced
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 2-3 tablespoons seeds or nuts if desired
- Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing See Note
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini or substitute with nut or seed butter
- 2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil optional, adds richness
- Pinch of freshly grated zest 2 pinches cayenne Pinch of sea salt and a few pinches freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the kale. Run each thick leaf under warm water and massage any grit away. Tear the leaves away from the thick stalks and place them in a large bowl. Rinse and drain the leaves several times until the kale is adequately clean. Drain the water from the bowl for and squeeze the kale dry with a few paper towels. Remove any large pieces of kale from the bowl and chop them into long strips. (If you like large pieces of kale you can skip this last chopping step.) You should have 4 to 6 cups of kale.
- Place the kale, carrots, avocado, and onion in a large bowl.
- For the Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Add the dressing to the bowl of veggies and kale and start tossing. Massage the dressing into the kale with your hands, if you’d like, for more infused flavor. Fluff and toss until the dressing is well absorbed into the greens and veggies. Fold in the seeds, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad. Allow at least 1 hour for the dressing to really sink into the ingredients. Plus, chilling everything makes it refreshing and tasty as a cold salad side. You can even make this salad the night before you serve it. Overnight chilling works! The greens should be eaten within a day for the best taste and texture.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.