I’ve given you a little reprieve from my whole vegan butterfingers fixation, but now I’m like the little girl in the fuzzy TV screen saying, “I’m baa-aack.” Of course my fascination with vegan butterfingers never really went away. I’ve just been trying to pretend as if I’m back to normal, all the while making secret trips to the Dollar Store (the one place where I know they have my favorite, little Chick-O-Sticks). It was in March when I realized those little orange Chick-O-Sticks are basically the vegan version of a naked Butterfinger Bar. Naked as in…sans chocolate. But we can add chocolate, right? Take, for example, these Vegan Magic Butterfinger Bars. OK. Don’t mind if I do!
Obviously rediscovering the Chick-O-Stick has been quite an experience. Sometimes I’ll crumble a few pieces and eat it with popcorn. Tasty, eh? And then sometimes I’ll sprinkle a few of these tasty morsels in my cookie dough, like these Butterfinger Chocolate Chip Cookies for example.
It’s gotten to the point where I feel some kind of ownership of the idea. Now when I’m on Pinterest and I see Butterfinger Parfait Yogurt Cups (I mean, really?), I get a little defensive. I’ve never tried butterfingers with vegan yogurt, and even though the sound of it doesn’t really work for me, I still wish I would have thought of it first.
This is the part where I close my eyes and take in some deep breaths. Breathe in peace and tranquility. Breathe out angst for recipe ideas that I should have thought of myself but didn’t want to. After ten repetitions of that I’m either over it…or a little woozy from the increased oxygen to my head.
Seriously, I love getting creative in the kitchen, so I’m always happy to see others who do that too. I hope these Magic Butterfinger Bars tickle your fancy as much as they have mine. If not, just wait…I’m sure I’ll come up with some new butterfinger variation soon.
Butterfinger Layered Magic Bars
- 1½ cups soymilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine melted
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 - 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup Chick-O-Sticks crushed
- Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare a 9X13 baking pan by giving it a light coating of vegetable spray.
- Make the Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk by combining the soy milk, sugar, and corn starch in a saucepan. Stir well and then turn the heat to medium. Bring to a boil and allow the mixture to thicken. Remove from heat and add ground fax seeds and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Make the graham cracker crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs with the melted margarine. Stir gently and then press into the bottom of your prepared baking pan, spreading evenly across the bottom.
- Pour the cooled Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk over the graham cracker crust. Then top this with a layers of coconut, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately top with crushed Chick-O-Sticks