Today I’m talking with Julie Piatt about her new book, This Cheese is Nuts (see link below). If you’ve been hesitant to take on a vegan diet because you can’t bare to give up cheese, this book will be your salvation. Listen to my discussion with Julie for more information about creating healthy plant-based cheese and how you can add delicious vegan cheeses to your diet. Julie and I also talk about honey, if you’re interested in more listen to my podcast on Vegans Who Eat Honey. We also talk about smoothies and I’ve got an episode on the Health Benefits of Smoothies too.
It seems like the number one reason people have trouble transitioning to a vegan diet is cheese. I know it’s one of the foods that held me back. That and M&Ms. And guess what? I don’t even like milk chocolate anymore.
And guess what else? I don’t like dairy cheese anymore either. I ordered a vegan pizza and it accidentally arrived with dairy mozzarella and I could tell immediately; and it wasn’t a positive experience. The rubbery texture and greasy aftertaste was not enjoyable.
Taste buds are malleable. That means they change. Mine changed and yours will change as well.
And as Julie points out, the health benefits of a healthy, plant-based diet can be so important.
Resolving emotional trauma is a key task in our life. — Julie Piatt
Creating Healthy Plant-Based Cheese
Julie’s book offers plant-based recipes for bleu cheese, feta, cheddar cheese, and many more traditional cheeses. She even includes recipes in which you can use those vegan cheeses.
Our bodies are divine. That’s the premise on which Julie has created her plant-based diet. We need to cultivate a diet that feeds the our souls and our bodies. In fact, I asked Julie about weight management and a plant-based diet. She described how our bodies house our spirit. Eating plants won’t mean we’re free of problems, but it helps create a balanced environment where our body can begin to heal itself.
Julie describes that any issues you might have with weight is between you and you. That’s it. She suggests asking yourself this question: Are you embodying the best version of yourself?
She continues, “It’s not about you looking like me. Every body is unique and it has it’s own optium form. Are you supporting it so it can be in its optimum form? Being authentically you and been that at the highest level you can be, that’s what you’re being asked.”
Julie urges people dealing with weight issues to resolve any emotional trauma around food or body image. That’s a more foundational point from which to begin.
The true key to successful weight loss is to embark on that path to truly know yourself. Julie says you should make this mission. We ALL should make this our mission.
Understand that you are a divine emanation of a force, a divine force, a sacred force. — Julie Piatt
Once you make that commitment that you are the most important mission of your life — the most important thing for you to do is to know yourself — then you’ll discover that primary to that is what you put in your mouth.
Julie’s recipes are creating cheese in a new light. She cautions people not to expect blue cheese and brie and feta that tastes exactly like its dairy counterparts. In fact, you should expect it taste even better. Not only is the process of making plant-based cheeses easier, but you’ll love the creamy, delicious texture and flavors too.
Our goal at Namely Marly is to provide you with inspiring resources to take on a vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, and inspired, energetic life. We hope today’s interview about Creating Healthy Plant-Based Cheese has been helpful and informative.
Today’s episode is sponsored by Charm Comforters.
CharmSleep Comforters use plant-based fibers and other materials to create a high-loft, soft, give-and-take compression similar to down. We love our CharmSleep comforter and think you will too!
Charm is partnering with Marly to provide YOU with a great discount. Get $25 off your Charm Comforter AND free Shipping. Simply go to CharmSleep and enter the promo code MARLY today.
Charm sleep provides a 100 night guarantee. That means if you don’t love the CHARM, you can return it for a full refund.
This Creating Healthy Plant-Based Cheese episode includes references to some resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Check out the site: SriMati
- Give a shout-out to Julie and connect via Twitter and Instagram
- Julie mentions the documentary, What the Health
- Order Julie’s Book, This Cheese is Nuts!
- You can order an affordable dehydrator for around $50
- Marly mentions the episode with Rachel Hutchings talking about a Plant-Based Approach to Autoimmune Disease
- Learn about Julie and Rich and their plant-based excursions at Plant-Powered World
- Julie also describes using a wine cooler in creating healthy plant-based cheese recipes. Here’s a wine cooler for around $100
- Don’t forget to order your Charm Sleep Comforter made out of comfortable, relaxing, plant-based materials. Enter the promo code MARLY for $25 off and free shipping
- Julie talks about her food photography Leigh Morosovich
- Julie talks about the book the Non-Dairy Evolution Cookbook by Sky Michael Conroy
- Julie mentions the documentary Cowspiracy which is available on Netflix
- Read the book the Cheese Trap by Neal Barnard
- Related Post: Dr. Greger shares about his book How Not to Die
- Connect with Marly: Namely Marly | Instagram | Twitter
- Production, music, graphic art & sound design by Shawn Beelman
- Learn about future Namely Marly Podcast episodes, recipes, and thoughts on living an inspired life by subscribing to the Namely Marly newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the bottom of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
- Check out the other Namely Marly Podcast episodes.
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Hey, you don’t want to miss out on any future podcast episodes. Right? So head on over to iTunes and subscribe to the Namely Marly Podcast today. While you’re at it, share your review. It’s a great way to help others find the Namely Marly podcast too!
That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!