This Vegan Banana Cake recipe is a favorite. It may be yours too if you love a tender, moist banana recipe cake from scratch with cream cheese frosting…all vegan of course! See post for making this a vegan gluten free banana cake! And there are tips for making this recipe into banana cupcakes as part of my vegan banana recipes section.
I have always loved banana cake. It’s one reason I knew I had to find a way to make a banana cake vegan! Because, if you can be vegan AND eat Vegan Banana Cake with frosting, it’s not such a bad deal…if you ask me!
The other big deal in my mind was finding a way to make this banana cake recipe easy! Because easy + delicious a😂re my favorite ingredients!
Best Vegan Banana Recipes
Do you love recipes with bananas? If so, you’re in the right place because we love just about everything banana here. Did you know it’s pretty easy to make banana desserts vegan? Well, it’s true. In fact, here are some of my favorite vegan banana desserts recipes:
- There’s my Best Banana Bread recipe
- Then I made this delicious Vegan Banana Cream Pie
- Of course then I had to share these Vegan Banana Pancakes (these are gluten-free too!)
- I even made a Banana Green Tea Smoothie! Am I going overboard? I can’t tell yet!
- And, of course, there’s the famous Vegan Banana Muffins
I know! We’re bananas about bananas! 🍌
And now that you have this recipe for banana cake, you can easily transform it into banana cupcakes by placing cupcake papers in a muffin pan, using this batter to fill those papers about 3/4 of the way full, and then baking for 24 – 26 minutes. Be sure to use a tester to make sure the cupcakes are done.
How to Make Vegan Banana Cake
Wondering how to make a banana cake? Well, I like to think of it like a vegan yellow cake recipe with spices and bananas thrown into the mix.
So, let’s get started on this banana cake from scratch! Begin by combining flour, baking soda and powder, salt, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Stir that all together.
In a a food processor combine vegetable oil, sugar, peeled and chopped bananas, plant-based milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar. Pulse until smooth then pour it into the mixture with the flour.
Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake. This cake is so amazing, it’s almost like a banana bread cake!
For the cream cheese frosting, combine vegan cream cheese and vegan butter and stir together until smooth. Next, add the powdered sugar, stirring it in a little at a time. Then add the milk, slowly, until you achieve a spreadable consistency.
Expert Tips for Homemade Banana Cake
Use these tips to help make this banana vegetarian cake recipe perfect every time:
- I bake my Vegan Banana Cakes in a 9 X 13 baking dish. That way you can cover it easily, and take it to your favorite get-togethers.
- The bananas in this cake serve a purpose besides the flavor. They also add lots of moisture, creating a soft, tender cake that you’ll love time and time again.
- There’s just the right amount of sweetness that you might not even need that frosting, but it sure adds a nice touch!
- if you’re taking this banana cake recipe out, you can dress it up with some chopped nuts to the top for decoration. There’s nothing as fancy as a banana nut cake!
- Consider adding a teaspoon of lemon zest to the batter to make this into a lemon banana cake
- Also, you could sub lemon extract for the vanilla in the cream cheese frosting to create a lemon icing
- You can substitute melted coconut oil for the vegetable oil
- Notice this is an eggless recipe. Bananas make a great substitute for eggs in this cake!
- I use Earth Balance for vegan butter
- My favorite vegan cream cheese is Tofutti or Daiya
- To measure flour, use your measuring cup to lift up “sift” the flour in its container. Then scoop flour into the measuring cup and use a knife to level it off
- For the frosting, be sure to have both the vegan cream cheese and vegan butter softened. Sitting them out on the counter about 30 minutes before helps
- You can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour
- You can substitute coconut sugar for the granulated sugar.
Make this Easy Banana Cake Recipe Sugar Free
You can make vegetarian banana cake recipes free of added sugars by using Swerve in place of granulated sugar in the recipe. In addition, use Swerve powdered sugar for the frosting.
Swerve is substituted 1:1 in place of sugars. It’s a erythritol based sweetener which has been shown to have minimal effect, if any, on blood sugar.
Just a note on carbs: You can make this recipe free of added sugars, but because of the bananas and flour, there will still be carbs in this recipe.
This is the best banana cake recipe in the world! At least if you ask me!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Banana Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (see note)
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large bananas ripe, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese , softened
- ¼ cup vegan butter , softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 X 13 cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a food processor, add the oil, sugar, bananas, plant-based milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar and pulse until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 38 – 40 minutes. The top should be golden brown. Use a tester inserted in the center to come out clean to confirm it's done.
- Set aside the cake to cool and in the meantime, prepare your Frosting.
- Frosting: Cream together the vegan cream cheese and vegan butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar a little at a time until well combined. Add plant-based milk one tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, top it with the frosting.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Also, we recently updated this best ever banana cake post with new, beautiful photos! We’ve learned a thing or two about food photography over the years and that’s a good thing. Here are the old photos from this post. I think you’ll agree that new is better!
You get the idea that this is a vegan banana cake, but we were ready to show you a better image of how good this cake is!
If you love this recipe, be sure and check out my Vegan Carrot Cake recipe and my best Vegan Vanilla Cake recipe too!