A favorite childhood snack has gotten a makeover including some berry sweet flavoring with these Raspberry & Rum Vegan Rice Crispy Treats.
I found inspiration for this tasty treat on Deborah’s Taste and Tell post, Layered Strawberry Sprinkle Krispies. Oh, how delicious! But, of course, vegetarians are kind of hard up when it comes to marshmallows because they’re made with gelatin.
And we all know what gelatin comes from. If you’re in the dark on this one, then check out this article on Gelatin.
But when dessert is on the line, I’m not one to let myself get too discouraged. My mom says I have a “sunny disposition.” Isn’t that sweet?
So I not only veganized it, but took it to the intersection of Raspberry and Rum. I don’t know if you’ve been there before, but it’s a nice place to be.
I usually look at rice crispy treats as a sort of summer treat. As cold as it’s been lately and with as much snow as we’ve had around, I thought we could use a little color and memories of summer as possible. I hope you agree!
Raspberry & Rum Rice Crispy Treats
- 8 tablespoons dairy-free margarine sliced
- 1 10 oz bag vegetarian marshmallows I used Dandies Vegetarian Marshmallows
- 11 cups crispy rice cereal
- ¼ teaspoon raspberry extract
- 2 drops McCormick's Neon Pink food coloring optional
- ¼ teaspoon rum extract
- 3 - 4 tablespoons heart sprinkles
- Use a little extra margarine to coat the inside of two 8" square cake pans. Set aside.
- Pour the margarine slices in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 22 - 33 seconds until the margarine has softened. Add the marshmallows (minus the one you're going to eat...come on...you know you've got to eat at least one!). Stir and heat again, this time for a minute. Remove and stir. Heat again for 33 seconds. Remove and stir vigorously. You want the mixture to be smooth before progressing to the next step.
- Once the margarine/marshmallow mixture is smooth, reserve ½ cup of the mixture to a smaller bowl. In the larger bowl, add the raspberry extract and red food coloring. Stir until combined. Now add 8 cups of the crispy rice cereal. Stir gently until all the cereal is coated. Press a quarter of this mixture into the bottom of one of the prepared cake pans. Repeat with the second pan.
- In the smaller bowl, add the rum extract to the reserved half-cup marshmallow mixture. If it has gotten a little too firm to stir, place it in the microwave and heat for approximately 11 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add the remaining 3 cups of crispy rice cereal and stir until coated. Spread half of this rum flavored mixture over the raspberry mixture in the first pan. Repeat with the second half over the second pan.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of heart sprinkles to the remaining raspberry marshmallow mixture. Stir a bit and then spread half of this to make the final layer. You may need to press it a little to get it to cooperate.
- Let the bars set a little before cutting. It should create 16 bars, (depending on how much you eat in the preparatory stages).
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.