Enjoy this easy to make Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit on a bun with coleslaw on the side. You’ll be so surprised how closely it mimics the other stuff!
If you’re into flaky, savory meat piled high on a bun, you’ve come to the right place. But let me clarify, the meat I’m talking about doesn’t come from an animal. Nope, this one comes from a fruit, a jackfruit in particular. If you haven’t worked with it before, check out my post on Bulgogi Jackfruit that shares some tips on how to buy it. But today? We’re talking about Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit. All I can say is…bring it on!
Isn’t it hard to believe that’s vegan? I know! And not only does it look impressive, it tastes pretty darn good as well.
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
Have you heard all that fuss about the sins of multi-tasking? It’s as if doing two things at once is the devil or something. I imagine most of the people on their soapboxes preaching the evils of multi-tasking have never heard of a crockpot. It’s a kitchen gadget. It allows you to cook dinner while, I dunno, living your life.
You can go to work, get your nails done, reroof the house, whatever. And all the while, your dinner is cooking. Sweet!
You’ll see the ingredients list below, or you can look at the photo directly below this paragraph. There aren’t a lot of them, so look closely.
I simply drain the jackfruit, put everything in my crockpot, set the temperature, and run like the wind.
I prefer to “blacken” the finished BBQ pulled jackfruit by heating some oil up in a skillet and placing batches of the cooked jackfruit in the pan and cooking it until it’s caramelized in spots. I think this creates a very flavorful finished dish. But it’s entirely optional. The slow cooker BBQ pulled jackfruit is fine straight from the crockpot as well.
This recipe is a real show-stopper and if you’re trying to impress your ominovrious friends, I recommend a double batch. Also, serving some cole slaw on the side is a nice touch as well.
The Health Benefits of Slow Cooker BBQ Jackfruit
I know we’re all looking for easy and delicious recipes. This one combines the best of easy (a slow cooker) with a simple list of ingredients, that results in a delicious, savory vegan sandwich that can be served for a special dinner or even as leftovers for lunch the next day.
But it’s also healthy too. If you haven’t tried jackfruit before you may be wondering if it provides any nutritional benefits. Learn more about jackfruit and how it’s loaded with Vitamin C, protein, calcium, potassium, iron, and more!
In addition, I added a pear and cranberries to this recipe for natural sweetness and additional phytonutrients.
And besides, this recipe is also:
- Fun for vegans and non-vegans alike
You had me at BBQ. Can I get an amen?
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- 2 20 oz cans Young Green Jackfruit in brine drained
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cranberries optional
- 1 firm green pear chopped
- 1 – 3 tablespoons olive oil optional
- Place the drained jackfruit in a slow cooker and turn to high heat.
- In a bowl combine the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, nutmeg, and water. Stir to combine.
- Add the fresh cranberries and chopped pear to the jackfruit, pour the sauce over the top and stir to distribute evenly.
- Place the lid on and cook for about 10-15 minutes on high. Once it starts to simmer, turn the heat to low and cook for four hours.
- Optional: Place 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place batches of the finished BBQ Pulled Jackfruit and cook until browned on the edges. Turn and cook on both sides. Place in a serving dish and repeat until you’ve browned all of the jackfruit.