This Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip recipe is a healthy version of your favorite Mexican dip spread. You’ll love these seven layers, with flavors just like the traditional, except this one is whole foods and plant-based! Serve this as a dip with chips or use it with your favorite vegan Mexican dishes!
I took this Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip to my book reading club gathering and they raved about it. Usually I only get a reaction like that from people who are somehow motivated to say nice things to me, like my family.
But the ladies in my book reading club? They don’t hold back on their opinions! In fact, the whole notion of a book reading club is that we’re all there with different opinions about the same thing and we talk it through…while drinking wine and eating good food. So when this group agreed that they loved this dip, I knew it was a winner.
They sell sweet potatoes at my grocery store 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but somehow sweet potatoes fall into the apples and pumpkin category for me – they scream fall. But here’s a recipe that shows how you can use it all year long!
How to Make Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip
The goal with this recipe was to take the traditional seven layer dip and make it whole foods, plant-based. You know, healthy!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
- 1st Layer: You’ll make a homemade Black Bean Dip by combing black beans, salsa, ground flax seed, and garlic in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Spread this across the bottom of a deep-dished serving plate.
- 2nd Layer: Spoon the Sweet Potato Nacho Cheese sauce over the black bean mixture on the serving plate.
- 3rd Layer: Prepare the Quinoa Taco Filling, then spread the prepared Quinoa Taco Filling over the Sweet Potato layer.
- 4th Layer: Drop spoonfuls of the guacamole along the outside edge over the quinoa layer and then work your way inward, using the back of your spoon to spread it evenly across the top.
- 5th – 7th Layers: Top the dip with layers of chopped black olives, diced tomatoes, and vegan shredded cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Obviously the vegan cheddar cheese is not necessarily plant-based so you can leave that out if you’d like. For a cheesy flavor, you can sprinkle some vegan parmesan over the top.
You May Also Like
I figured it would be perfect to showcase these cheesy sweet potatoes with layers of taco-flavored quinoa, salsa-infused black beans, and all the toppings like black olives and diced tomatoes that make this new fall flavored dip something to be remembered at your party, whatever the theme!
I hope you love this recipe as we do. Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip
- 2 15 oz cans black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 batch Sweet Potato Nacho Cheese
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 batch vegan guacamole
- 2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- tortilla chips
- Layer One: Prepare the Black Bean Dip by combing black beans, salsa, ground flax seed, and garlic in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Spread across the bottom of a deep-dished serving plate.
- Layer Two: Spoon the Sweet Potato Nacho Cheese over the black bean mixture on the serving plate, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Layer Three: Prepare the Quinoa Taco Filling by combining cooked quinoa, taco seasoning and remaining paprika in a medium bowl. Add one tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture (reserved from step above) to the quinoa mixture and stir until combined (this helps the quinoa stay together better for dipping purposes). Then spread the prepared Quinoa Taco Filling over the Sweet Potato layer.
- Layer Four: Drop spoonfuls of the guacamole along the outside edge over the quinoa layer and then work your way inward, using the back of your spoon to spread it evenly across the top.
- Layers Five – Seven: Top the dip with layers of chopped black olives, diced tomatoes, and vegan shredded cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips, corn chips, or chopped veggies.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.