Celebrate National Pi day with this Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust. You’ll love the lightly sweetened berry filling between a whole wheat, flaky sugar cookie crust. Hey, if you’re into vegan creamy pie recipes, you are in the right place. Check out my Vegan Chocolate Meringue Pie. It’s a beauty. Or there’s also my Vegan Pecan Pie which is always gives everyone that “deer in the headlights” look. Oh yeah.
I would love to tell you what a math buff I am. The thing is, I’m a true fan of math. Even more, I really admire people who are great at it. But for me? I’m a work in process. I think I’ll come back in another life as a physicist, but for now, I’m happy to follow Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Twitter.
But today is a day to celebrate National Pi Day. Why? Because it’s March 14. Get it? 3/14? The first three digits of the pi formula is 3.14 and that’s followed by a whole long string of numbers, none of which I have memorized.
So, in honor of this day of celebration, I’m sharing with you my Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust. Yes, it’s true, I look for any reason to eat vegan pie.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust
I made that filling full of berries and added a little bit of sweetener on top of it. Because the berries are naturally sweet and I wanted to bring out the flavors. I also used a whole wheat sugar cookie dough to make the crust. That way you feel like you’re getting something healthy out of this delicious dessert!
I thought it was a nice change of pace to use a cookie crust for this pie. It’s nice and crispy like any pie crust, but it offers just a different flavor than you’d expect. Also, I used chia seeds to help achieve the thickness in the pie. I don’t know about you, but I’m not a big fan of the runny stuff that comes along with some berry pies. Those chia seeds really do the trick!
Change Things Up
Recipes are so dreamy, don’t you think? I love looking at them and figuring out ways to make them my own. I started doing this when I was a teenager and have never stopped. I hope you do that too. I mean, not with MY recipes.
OK. Just kidding. Of course, you should look at every recipe as an opportunity to add your special touch. If you’re curious about how that process looks, here are some ways I’d consider changing up this recipe:
- Add a teaspoon or so of ground nutmeg to the sugar cookie crust
- Consider doing a blueberry only pie instead of mixed berries
- Add some chopped pecans to the crust for even more crunch
- Instead of the rolled cookie pie crust over the top, you could make a crumbly topping by breaking the pie crust into pieces over the top before baking
- If you prefer a more standard pie crust, be sure to try this Vegan Pie Crust recipe. It’s the best!
I could go on all day, but hopefully you’ve got the idea here. I highly recommend serving this Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust with a cup of hot tea, or maybe even a tall glass of plant-based milk (vanilla flavored…of course). This pie will be perfect for a Saturday night dinner date or even your next family dinner!
We hope you love this Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust as much as we do. If you decide to make the recipe, take a photo, share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We LOVE seeing your creations!
Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust
- For the Sugar Cookie Crust:
- 1 cup almond flour*
- 1½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons vodka**
- For the Blueberry Pie Filling:
- 5 cups mixed berries frozen***
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, ground flax seeds, cornstarch and coconut oil. Pulse for several seconds to combine. Add water and vodka and pulse again until a ball forms.
- Roll into two balls, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a pie pan with vegetable spray.
- Remove one of the dough balls from the fridge and place it between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a large circle, a little larger than your pie pan. Gently transfer to your pie pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, roll out the second ball of cookie dough until about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut pieces for the top of the pie. Set these pieces aside.
- Place the blueberries, coconut sugar, and flour in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for several minutes, until a thick sauce forms. Remove from heat and add the chia seeds and pinch of salt.
- Pour the blueberry filling into the pre-baked pie crust. Top with cookie cutouts and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Finally, my food blog friends and are got together to celebrate the joys of Pi Day. I’m so excited to share with you these fun recipes. Some of them may not be vegan or even vegetarian. Feel free to reach out to me if you’d like ideas for veganizing them.
If you’re a pie fan like, me then I know you’re going this 21-pie salute to the National Pi Day Celebration!
Sweet Pie Recipes
Vegan Coconut Meringue Pie via Namely Marly
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie by Life Made Simple
Vegan Banana Cream Pie by Namely Marly
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie by Namely Marly
Strawberry Chocolate Pie by Baking with Blondie
Raspberries and Cream Pie via the Real Kitchen Mom
Vegan Pecan Pie by Namely Marly
Lemon Meringue Pie by The Baker Upstairs
Vegan Chocolate Meringue Pie by Namely Marly
Pineapple Fluff Pie by The Yellow Bliss Road
Vegan Fluffy Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Pie by Namely Marly
Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie by Namely Marly
German Chocolate Pie via Creations by Kara
Savory Pie Recipes
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie via Namely Marly
Beefless Vegan Pot Pie by Namely Marly
Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuit Crust by Hey Grill, Hey
Shepherd’s Pie by Ashlee Marie
Meat and Potatoes Pie by Foodie with Family
Vegan Pumpkin Shepherd’s Pie by Namely Marly
Whatever pie you’re drooling over, enjoy!