Have you noticed we’re really into healthy recipes right now? Well, why let the good times stop just because it’s breakfast? We love these Vegan German Chocolate Overnight Oats. Make them the night before and then be prepared for some oohs and ahhs first thing in the morning. If you like healthy, plant-based recipes to start off your day, check out our Vegan Pina Colada Smoothie recipe, or listen in as I talk about Why Green Smoothies Matter on the Namely Marly Podcast.
Thanks to Forever Body for sponsoring today’s post!
Healthy. It’s a loaded word these days. It’s so easy to get confused about what it means to be healthy. Low carb? High protein? Low fat? All the fat? It’s enough to make your head spin. Hmm. I wonder if that will be a new workout trend. 🙂
That’s why lately I’ve taken to monitoring how I feel after I eat certain foods. When something I eat makes me feel “not great” then I try to eat it less of it. But when I feel good? Eat more of that stuff.
How’s that for rocket science!
I hate to admit this, but avoiding refined processed sugars is an easy way for me to feel my best. It’s one of the reasons we’ve been featuring more healthy desserts lately. Also, I like keeping gluten to a minimum. There’s so many fun ways to do that thanks to things like lettuce wraps. The other thing I love is making sure I start my day with high quality foods, like smoothies or this high protein vegan german chocolate overnight oats.
Because none of us have time for breakfast in bed (yes, I’m talking to you, North Dakota politicians. What century are you living in, anyway!), and overnight oats are a great way for a no-bake, healthy, fast breakfast.
Why You’ll Love Vegan German Chocolate Overnight Oats
The combination of flavors in this recipe is simply hard to overlook. We begin with a chocolate, protein powder infused oatmeal. The beautiful thing about overnight oats is that there’s no cooking involved. Simply combine the ingredients, like oatmeal, cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, and some plant-based milk, then let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then when you get up the next morning, either sprinkle the top with fresh coconuts or toast it for an even crunchier, tastier topping.
So, it’s a chocolate-infused oatmeal topped with coconut flakes, almond slivers, and chocolate chips. That’s why I’m calling this vegan german chocolate overnight oats. Fun fact: Did you know German Chocolate is actually an American creation? The person who created it? His last name was German, which is where the name comes from. Typically you make German Chocolate by combining dark chocolate with coconut and pecans, but I went for almond slivers in this recipe. Why? Because I like to be different, but also because I think almond slivers are a little easier to find.
Besides, this recipe is made with Forever Body’s Sprouted Probiotic Protein Powder. It’s made with organic protein powder, organic cranberry powder, organic hemp, and even some organic sacha inchi, to produce a chocolate protein powder full of amino acids, omega-3s, fiber, probiotics and more.
Basically, you’ll love this recipe because it’s so easy, but you’ll come back for more because it tastes so good. I also love that the addition of protein makes it filling. Because that 10:21 am stomach churn in the middle of your staff meeting is no fun for anyone.
We got so excited about this vegan german chocolate overnight oats recipe so much we made it into a video for you:
This Recipe Needs You
In my mind, a recipe is like penciled words on a page begging for an eraser. Because I love to play around in the kitchen, I encourage you to as well. Take a long look at this recipe. What would you like to change about it? If you’d love some ideas to get started, here are some of my thoughts on ways to play around with this Vegan German Chocolate Overnight Oats recipe:
- Change out the almond slivers for chopped pecans
- Rather than toasting the coconut flakes and nuts, serve them fresh
- Add granola as a topping
- In addition to the other ingredients, add a teaspoon or two of peanut butter powder
- Add a half teaspoon of ground nutmeg to the oatmeal
Of course you can serve this Vegan German Chocolate Overnight Oats for breakfast. But hey, why not try it for dessert! It’s perfect either way. You can also serve it with some Green Tea Iced Chai Tea for a nice, refreshing change of pace.
Finally, we hope you love this Vegan German Chocolate Overnight Oats recipe as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). You know, we LOVE seeing your photos!
German Chocolate Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons Forever Body Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon stevia sweetener*
- ¾ cup plant-based milk
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chocolate chips
- Combine the rolled oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, chia seeds, and stevia in a lidded container. Stir to combine.
- Pour the plant-based milk over the oatmeal mixture. Stir to combine. Place the lid on the container and refrigerate for at least two hours, up to overnight.
- Before serving, place the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut flakes and chopped pecans. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the coconut and pecans are toasted.
- Pour the overnight oats into a serving container. Top with toasted coconut flakes and pecan pieces and cacao nibs.
You know, if you’re into vegan oatmeal recipes, you’re gonna love these:
- Sweet Creamy Oats by Veggie Inspired Journey
- Vegan S’Mores Oatmeal by Full of Plants
- Cinnamon Oatmeal by Well Vegan
- Vegan Baked Oatmeal Cups by Detoxinista
- Oh, and be sure to try my Peanut Butter Overnight Oats recipe
Whatever vegan oatmeal breakfast you’re you’re grooving on, enjoy!
Thanks again to Forever Body Plant Protein Powder for sponsoring today’s post. Thanks to you for supporting the brands that we love!