Your traditional snacking gets a makeover with this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix, made with your favorite chex cereal, pretzels, pecans, pumpkin pie spices, and delicious, organic candies! If you love delicious vegan snacks, be sure to check out my Chipotle Hummus Dip. Or how about my Vegan Gluten-free Savory Snack Mix. Pretty tasty!
Note: This post has been sponsored by Wholesome. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Fall is here and I think it might be my favorite season of the year. Who knows, maybe I might say that when spring rolls around too. 🙂
One of the things I love about fall is the changing of the leaves, for sure. We live in the heart of the country where the trees put on an amazing show this time of year. If someone created a story about magical trees that grew green leaves that burst into vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows, I would probably raise an eyebrow and say, whatevs! It’s just another case of how life, or nature in this case, can be stranger than fiction.
But there’s another reason I love fall. Finally we have good reason to bring on the pumpkin spices! This Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix is a perfect case in point. I’m sure you’ve tried the traditional snack mix, with its savory, garlicky flavoring. It’s great stuff!
Add a little maple syrup and some pumpkin pie spices…and this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix is bursting with flavors and begging for just one more handful!
How Do You Make Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix?
As I mentioned above, that traditional snack mix is so good, but it’s a little time-consuming to make. So for this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix recipe, I decided to do something different. Because we’re busy people and we don’t have time to spend an hour standing over the oven, am I right? So, this recipe is made a la microwave.
I know. It’s a little surprising. And I was hesitant about it at first too, but it worked like a charm! I was sure to have two bowls handy so that when I microwaved the batch of Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix, I would use oven mitts to remove it from the microwave, and then pour half of it into the second bowl. That made it so much easier to stir.
Also, I think the quality of the ingredients you use matters. I used maple syrup because I love the maple flavor that comes through and I used whole pecans. Those pecans, coated in pumpkin-spiced maple and baked just right, make this recipe a real show-stopper!
My favorite ingredient? Wholesome organic candies. I thought my days of having delicious, colorful, chewy candies were over, because so few of them are vegan. Most of them use gelatin which is not vegetarian, let alone vegan. I used Wholesome Candies products in this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix recipe: Wholesome Organic DelishFish.
I can buy Wholesome Candies at my local health food store, and I’m so lucky to have one within a few minutes of my house. I love that Wholesome Candies are made with real, organic recognizable ingredients. There’s no synthetic colors (like RED 40) or GMOs, for that matter. The two used in this recipe are also vegan and gluten-free. Perfect! Wholes does not use artificial flavors, and they don’t use high fructose corn syrup.
A quick trip to my local health food store resulted in the Wholesome Organic DelishFish I used in this recipe — and they’re also vegan and gluten-free.
I like to live my life with balance, which includes the food I eat. That means I love having some indulgences. The Wholesome motto is one that I share: Sweet is always better when it’s wholesome.
The good news is getting even better because thanks to a special from Ibotta, you can receive a $1 off your purchase of Wholesome Candies if you use this coupon and instructions provided in that link.
PS – if you can’t find a local Wholesome retailer near you, don’t get bummed out – just head over here and get your Wholesome goodness online!
The Wheels of Change
I love this Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix, from the crunchy rice cereal, to the gluten-free pretzels, to the whole pecans, and the delicious, organic, naturally sweetened Wholesome Candies! But you know me, I’m always encouraging you to try new things when it comes to recipes. And even as much as I love this recipe exactly as it’s written, I could see turning the wheels of change on this recipe, based on what you’ve got around the house and your own personal preferences too. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing when it comes to changing up this recipe:
- Use an organic sugar, like Wholesome Coconut Sugar, in place of the maple syrup
- This recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice, but I could see adding up to a teaspoon of cinnamon for extra spice
- You could use walnuts instead of pecans
- Try vegan butter instead of coconut oil
- Double it up! Make a double batch and share with friends and family!
There you go. Feel free to use the recipe as is, or follow these adaptations to make a Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix that is truly your own!
We hope you love this recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix
- 3 cups Toasted Rice Cereal (like rice chex)
- 3 cups Toasted Corn Cereal (like corn chex)
- 1 cup Pretzels , gluten-free
- 2 cups Popped Popcorn
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 6 oz Wholesome Organic DelishFish
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine the cereals, pretzels, popcorn, and pecans. Stir to combine.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the maple syrup and coconut oil. Microwave for about 15 seconds, or until the coconut oil is melted. Add the vanilla and pumpkin pie spice and stir to combine.
- Pour the Maple Syrup mixture over the cereal mixture, using a spatula to stir it so the cereal mixture is evenly coated.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat for one minute. Use oven mitts to remove the bowl. Have another large bowl handy and pour half of the cereal mixture into the second bowl. Use a spatula to stir the ingredients, making sure everything is well coated. Pour everything back into the original bowl and return to the microwave. Repeat this up to 6 times, until the cereal starts to get a golden color (for my microwave it took 6 minutes).
- Once done, spread the snack mix out on a baking sheet to cool. This step allows it to get good and crispy.
- After it's completely cool, pour into a serving bowl and add the Wholesome Organic DelishFish.
Enjoy. And don’t forget to take advantage of this coupon for your Wholesome candies before heading out to pick up the rest of the ingredients!