Tis the season for summer campouts. No time or interest in ruffing it? That’s ok, these Vegan S’Mores Cookie Cups can bring the campfire feeling to the comfort of your own home!
I recently got back from Estes Park, Colorado with my dad, stepmom and sisters. We did everything you could possibly imagine doing in the mountains.
We hiked like crazy, drove up the Old Fall River Road, went to the Alpine Visitors Center, saw some elk, strolled through downtown, ate ice cream and candy apples, went horseback riding up a mountain, white water river rafted, and even zip lined. I’m probably forgetting something, that’s how much we did! It was a crazy amazing trip, to say the least. My dad likes to call it our “Colorado Adventure.”
When my dad and I first went to Estes when I was about 7 years old, we did some camping. In fact, our first night was spent in a tent. We didn’t know it was going to be about 40 degrees that evening, so we weren’t really prepared with terribly warm clothing or extra blankets. You could say it was a lil chilly… But we made it through!
So the next few years we stuck to well-conditioned cabins. Our cabin this year was by far the coolest, nicest and most scenic. It even had a hammock in the backyard! Though we didn’t camp, we did get to light some fires in the front yard of our cabin. Of course, with a 12 year old and 8 year old (my two sisters), one cannot simply light a fire and not expect to roast some marshmallows. It’s a given.
I don’t know about you, but s’mores are one of my favorite flavor and texture combos. All the ingredients are so different but they work so harmoniously together. Ugh heavy breathing. Needless to say, we had a couple s’mores nights on our recent trip to Estes Park. As a vegan, it’s difficult to do s’mores without buying very specific ingredients, so I stuck to graham crackers and some dark chocolate. Still super yummy.
Luckily, these Vegan S’Mores Cookie Cups are completely vegan AND to die for. Perfect size, and the added layer of chocolate chip cookie makes the s’mores flavor that much more intense.
Who needs graham crackers or mountains anyways? Well…need is a strong word. But “thoroughly enjoy” seems to fit both terms pretty well.
We hope you love these Vegan S’mores Cookie Cups as much as we do! If you give this recipe a try, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan S’Mores Cookie Cups
- 1 batch Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 1 bag vegetarian marshmallows
- 1-2 bars dark chocolate two squares per cookie, broken into squares
- Heat your oven to 350F. Prepare a mini-muffin tin by spraying each compartment with vegetable cooking spray (or you can cut strips of parchment paper and criss cross them to help remove the finished cookie cups).
- Prepare the cookie dough as directed.
- Roll the dough into 1-2″ balls (based on the size of your muffin pan and drop one into each muffin tin compartment. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops of the cookies are lightly golden.
- In the meantime, break your chocolate bar into pieces.
- When the cookies are done, remove the muffin tin from the oven and use one square of chocolate to press down the puffy cookie while it’s still hot, creating a well in the middle of each cookie with a piece of chocolate at the bottom (be careful to keep your finger on the piece of chocolate and don’t touch the hot cookie). Then place a marshmallow in the well of each cookie cup.
- Place the pan back in the oven for just a moment or two until the marshmallows puff up a little bit. Remove from the oven and place one square of chocolate in the center of each marshmallow (you may have to create a small “cut” in the skin of the marshmallow). Remove the cookie cups from the muffin containers and set on a wire rack to cool. Repeat this process until either the marshmallows or the cookie dough is gone.