If you like easy, plant-based recipes that are also delicious and healthy, you’re going to love this Vegan Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Bring on the healthy new year with even more vegan, plant-based recipes! Check out our other healthy recipes, such as this Vegan Bacon Ricotta Crostini and how about these 27 Easy Vegan Healthy Recipes!
The spaghetti squash has been around for a long time. In fact, rumor has it that the squash was first introduced in Japan in the early 1900’s from a research facility. Oh no! Does that make spaghetti squash genetically modified? Probably. But that kind of thing doesn’t bother me.
It took awhile for the spaghetti squash to get a foothold in the U.S., but when hard times hit during World War II, it finally found some popularity.
I can remember my family talking about it years ago as a great alternative to pasta. In fact, some people actually call it vegetable spaghetti.
Plants are pretty amazing. Don’t you think? Who knew you could cook a squash and get spaghetti! It’s surprises me every time, but then again, Shawn likes to point out that I’m easily amused.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Pasta is such a source of controversy. Is it good for you? Can you handle the whole wheat version? Do you like the gluten-free kind? How much of it should you cook at a time? Should you cook it with salt? Through it on a wall? The list goes on and on.
The spaghetti squash answers all of those questions…in a humble way.
There’s no gluten in a spaghetti squash. But it does come with plenty of other stuff. It’s loaded with potassium, calcium, and antioxidants like vitamin A and C and beta carotene. It also has over 2 grams of fiber per 1 cup serving. Oh, and what you won’t find is sodium (only a minimal amount) or an excessive amount of carbs or cholesterol.
This vegan spaghetti squash casserole is topped with pasta sauce and vegan cheese. That’s it. It’s such a simple, but delicious recipe! I love the idea of adding some Air Fryer Falafel to this recipe too!
Change It Up
A recipe is more art than science. I think we’re all looking for the science in life — tell me exactly how to lose weight or get rich or be happy. But sometimes the real trick is in the art. Because the more you make something your own, the closer you are to achieving it all. So I say, change it up! Make this recipe in a way that tickles your fancy. Here are some ideas for getting the inspiration flowing:
- Add some veggie sausage crumbles over the tomato sauce, before the cheese layer
- Drain a can of chickpeas and sprinkle chickpeas over the red sauce for added protein
- Sprinkle with vegan parmesan for added flavor
- Get some fresh or dried basil and sprinkle that over the top
No matter what, be sure to serve this vegan spaghetti squash casserole with bread. I think my Fig and Pecan Rustic Loaf would go perfectly!
We hope you love this Vegan Spaghetti Squash Casserole as much as we do. If you decide to make the recipe, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). Also, be sure to tag Adee (@AdeeDancy) because this is another one of her amazing recipes! We all LOVE seeing your photos!
Adee has been singing the praise of her spaghetti squash creations for some time now so I’m thrilled to share her recipe with you all!
Vegan Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 regular-sized Spaghetti Squash
- 18 – 20 oz jar Marinara Sauce look at the label to make sure it’s dairy-free
- 8 – 9 oz package vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1 Roma Tomato sliced
- Heat your oven to 375Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Remove seeds and goop from the center of both halves. Brush a thin layer of olive or coconut oil on the cut sides of each half. Place cut-side down on prepared pan. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the side reveals a tender squash. Leave oven on, but remove the squash from the oven.
- Allow the squash to cool for a few minutes, until cool enough to handle. Use a large spoon to scrape out squash innards into a square casserole dish. Distribute it evenly across the pan.
- Pour a thick layer of marinara sauce over the spaghetti squash. Depending on how large your squash is you may use the whole jar. But most often you’ll use about 3/4 of the jar.
- Sprinkle the entire bag of vegan cheese over the top. Distribute evenly.
- Slice the Roma tomato into thin slices and arrange them on top of the casserole.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Finally, if you’re into delicious vegan spaghetti squash recipes, check these out:
- Spaghetti Squash with Vegan Creamy Sauce by Hummusapien
- Vegan Spaghetti Squash Black Bean Bowl by Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Vegetarian Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Sage by Feasting at Home
- Oh, and check out this crazy good Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs by yours truly!
Whatever spaghetti squash recipe your drooling over, enjoy!