Homemade Vegan Meatloaf
Enjoy healthy comfort food with this Homemade Vegan Meatloaf made with black beans, quinoa, and lots of savory flavorings and a sweet tomato topping.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Vegan Broth Base
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 package Lightlife Gimme Lean Sausage
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jam/jelly optional
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup agave honey, or maple syrup
- 1 generous teaspoon ground nutmeg
Heat your oven to 350Spray a large loaf pan with vegetable spray.
Pour the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, thyme and oregano and cook until onions are tender.
Remove from heat and add the Worcestershire, Bouillon Base, and tomato paste. Set aside.
In a bowl combine the Gimme Lean Sausage, drained black beans, cooked quinoa, shredded carrots, blackberry jam, bread crumbs, ground flax seeds, and corn starch. Use a spatula to break up the vegan sausage and press into the beans to break them up as well. You may need to use your hands to work the ingredients together. You want everything well combined. After the onion mixture is sufficiently cooled, add this as well and stir to combine.
Press the Vegan Meatloaf mixture into your prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes until the edges separate from the pan and it looks crispy on the edges. It should be slightly firm in the middle as well.
In the meantime prepare the topping by combining the ketchup, agave, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir to combine. Note: You can also add a teaspoon or two of smoke sauce or BBQ sauce to this mixture as well.
Remove the pan from the oven and invert the loaf pan onto a baking sheet to remove the meatloaf. Turn your oven up to 400Use a spatula to spread the ketchup topping across the top of the meatloaf, allowing it to spill over the sides. Place the meatloaf back in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 23.3% | Vitamin C: 5.2% | Calcium: 4.5% | Iron: 10.4%