Vegan Savory Zucchini Bread
This savory zucchini bread is a quick bread made with zucchini, fresh basil, tomatoes, and more fresh and delicious ingredients.
- 3 cups flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (see note)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ½ cup scallions chopped
- 1 cup water**
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 thin slices tomato
Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with a light coating of vegetable spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Cut off the top of the zucchini. Discard. Then roughly chop the remaining and place in a food processor. Pulse a few seconds.
Roughly chop the tomato, basil leaves, and scallions. Add these to the food processor. Pulse for several seconds. Use a spatula to push any pieces in the side of the bowl down. Pulse again, until shredded. Add the water, apple cider vinegar and vegetable oil. Pulse again to combine.
Pour the contents from the food processor into the mixing bowl with the flour. Stir until just combined.**
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Top with the 3 tomato slices.
Place in heated oven and bake for 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. The top of the loaf should be a golden brown.
* You can use a mixture of flours. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 2 cups regular. If you prefer to use all whole wheat flour, I recommend using whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour. ** If the batter is too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until you reach a consistency that is just spreadable. You don't want it so thick it plops into the pan like bread dough, but you don't want it thin like a cake batter. In between is perfect.
Regarding salt, I've reduced the amount of salt called for in the bread itself. If you find it's not salty enough (salt preferences can be highly variable), you can add some melted vegan butter over the top (which is normally salted).
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 705IU | Vitamin C: 14.3mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2.7mg