This Healthy Moist Chocolate Banana Brownies Recipe makes fudgy, gooey chocolate banana brownies are moist, healthy, and super delicious. Vegan Banana Brownies make a perfect dessert, a tasty afternoon snack, or even a delicious breakfast! This is the best dairy-free, egg-free treat and it’s a satisfying scratch to your chocolate-craving itch! Make this thick and chewy vegan banana brownie recipe today!
Shawn and I definitely enjoy our desserts. I’m into it a lot less than I used to be. These days I’m fine with a little bit of chocolate on a banana. That must have been what inspired me to try making chocolate banana brownies…combining all my favorite flavors together.
If you doubt my appreciation for using bananas in recipes, you should see my Banana Chia Pudding recipe! It’s pretty…tasty…and healthy too! And there’s also my vegan Banana Bread recipe. Of course, the house smells pretty amazing every time I bake a loaf of that bread!
You know, I love making brownies with bananas because it checks off a few of my favorite boxes:
- I can use less added sugars, thanks to the sweetness from bananas
- There’s more nutrients involved, again thanks to the bananas, chocolate and more (see below)
- Bananas make a perfect egg replacer
- It adds lots of delicious flavors.
I can’t wait to tell you more about these moist banana fudge brownies.
How to Make Chocolate Banana Brownies
It’s not a complicated list of ingredients involved in this chocolate banana brownies recipe. You’ll need things like:
- dairy-free chocolate chips
- vegan butter (or you can use coconut oil)
- chia seeds
- 2 ripe bananas
- coconut sugar
- typical kitchen staples
I used coconut sugar because it appears to not impact blood sugar as dramatically as processed sugars. We’ve been making the switch to coconut sugar and using more whole wheat pastry flours in place of all-purpose flour.
I could have called this a banana chocolate chip brownie, because those dairy-free chocolate chips really make it work!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe creates a nice, dense dessert bar, which makes using whole wheat pastry flour perfect. Sometimes whole wheat can make your desserts a little too dense, but it works just right in this recipe.
You can see in the photos I drizzled some melted chocolate over the top of my chocolate banana brownies. I love that and it really adds glamor and flavor, a perfect combination.
You’ll want to decide if you’re going to mash the bananas with a fork or with the food processor. I used a fork and I was fine with a little chunkier banana throughout these cocoa brownies. If you want the banana more processed, just use your food processor.
For a change of pace, consider adding 1/4 creamy peanut butter to transform these into chocolate peanut butter brownies!
Love banana recipes?
Looking for recipes for ripe bananas? Check out some of the best banana recipes here:
- Of course, this Vegan Banana Bread Recipe is the best!
- Everyone loves these Peanut Butter Banana Cookies
- This Banana Cream Pie is amazing!
- For a healthy start to your day, try this Banana Green Tea Smoothie!
- For a mashup (pardon the pun) of many more banana recipes, here’s this Best Easy Vegan Banana Recipes post!
Healthy Banana Brownies
Let’s geek out on health a little. Here are some of the health ingredients used in these chewy chocolate banana brownies:
- Bananas are a perfect source of fiber, potassium (which lowers blood pressure), and a great source of pectin that can help soothe the gastrointestinal tract
- Dark chocolate will surprise you in that it’s a good source of fiber, magnesium, iron, copper magnesium, and more surprises like selenium. Dark chocolate is full of organic compounds like polyphenols and flavonoids that act as powerful antioxidants
- Chia Seeds contains Omega-3 fatty acids, something we all need more of in our diet. But chia sees are also an important source for calcium, magnesium, and even protein.
- Fiber is found in most of the ingredients in these banana brownies, all the way down to the whole wheat pastry flour. Each bar includes 3 grams of fiber per serving.
- Calories were reduced as much as possible so that we could offer each bar at around 192 calories each. If you’re interested in reducing even more calories, reduce the coconut sugar to a half cup and the chocolate chips to a half a cup too. If you reduce the chocolate chips, be sure to add about a quarter cup of cocoa powder.
You know, healthy and deliciousness combined in the same recipe is just another reason to love these chocolate banana brownies!
So, we love these chocolate banana brownies and we hope you do too! If you decide to make them, take a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Chocolate Banana Brownies
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9X9″ square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place 1 cup of chocolate chips and half cup of vegan butter in microwave and heat for 1 minute. Stir to combine the melted chocolate and vegan butter.
- Add the chia seeds and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Slice the ripe bananas and add slices to the bowl with the chocolate and use a fork and mash the banana slices up against the side of the bowl. Add the applesauce and water and stir this all together. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Pour the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Stir to combine. Add additional water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach a desired, spreadable consistency.
- Bake in heated oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until a butter knife or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Optional: Melt additional chocolate and drizzle over the top.
- Store banana brownies in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week. You can also freeze the bars. Place them on a tray and place that in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Store in the freezer up to two months.