This simple moist Vegan Banana Bread is dairy free and even egg free thanks to using 2 bananas. One delicious slice after another is filled with ripe bananas and walnuts. See tips below for making this quick bread gluten free and sugar free too!
I’ve been a fan of the banana for as long as I can remember, so the idea of making it into a Vegan Banana Bread recipe was a win from the get-go!
When you combine a crispy crust with a fluffy banana-flavored middle, you’ll end up with a perfect weekday (or weekend) treat. If you’re into all things banana, like me, you should take a look at my Vegan Banana Cream Pie. Or how about my Vegan Banana Blondies with Peanut Butter Frosting. Let the banana bread discussion begin!
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
Combine 3 sliced bananas along with vegan butter, brown sugar, vanilla, plant based milk, flax seeds, and cornstarch in a food processor. Pulse until combined. I like to leave some chunks from the bananas.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. If you’re adding nuts, then fold in toasted walnuts into the flour mixture. Then pour in the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
Pour this into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 – 60 minutes.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Banana Nut Bread
I grew up in a family of four kids. None of us wanted to get the heal slice when it came to the loaf of bread. I mean, who wants the heal? But that all changes when we’re talking bout Vegan Banana Nut Bread. Why? Because the heal is a nice, crispy crust, just like the top. You’ll especially notice this when you eat it fresh from the oven, after it’s just cool enough to eat…but still warm.
Ah, warm Vegan Banana Nut Bread. It’s great stuff.
In fact, we loved it so much we made a video for you!
If you love the flavors of bananas combined with walnuts, something tells me you’re going to love this bread too. This is called a quick bread because it doesn’t require yeast to make it rise. However, it still requires a long time to bake the loaf – around an hour. But I promise you, the smells that erupt from your oven and fill your house will make the wait even that much better.
Use these tips and tricks to make this vegan banana bread perfect every time:
- Why not sub half the fat with peanut butter
- Make sure you’ve got the pan greased and ready to go before making the batter
- I’ve added strawberries to make Vegan Strawberry Banana Bread, and other berries would work too
- This is technically a banana nut bread because I love including walnuts for more flavor and a nuttier texture. Leave the nuts out if it’s not your
- Definitely consider using half whole wheat flour for a more fiber-filled version
- Use whatever plant-based milk you’d like. I used unsweetened almond milk
- Feel free to sub coconut oil for the vegan butter in this recipe
- I call for both baking soda and baking powder in this recipe. I love how The Kitchn explains why to use both baking soda and baking powder adds more lift.
- Be sure and use a tester to make sure the bread is done before removing it from the oven.
How can I make banana bread healthier?
This vegan banana bread is not a low calorie treat. In fact, it has around 330 calories per slice. You can reduce the calories by making it sugar free. Bake it with no sugar by using Swerve instead. I’ve had great success with Swerve and you use it on a 1:1 basis with sugar.
Can you make this bread gluten-free?
You can make this vegetarian banana bread gluten free by subbing gluten free baking flour in place of the flour recommended below. I love adding around 1/4 cup almond flour to the recipe when using gluten-free flour. It adds a tenderness to the quick loaf.
This Vegan Banana Nut Bread can be served on it’s on own, but it would be even better to serve a slice with a Vegan Hot Chocolate. It takes breakfast to an entirely different level.
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 – 3 ripe bananas about 1 cup, mashed
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts toasted*
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a large loaf pan** with vegetable spray.
- In a food processor add the bananas, vegan butter, sugar, vanilla, plant-based milk, ground flax seeds, and cornstarch. Pulse until combined, leaving some banana chunks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold the chopped toasted nuts into the flour mixture. Stir until the nuts are coated. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a the crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool before slicing and serving warm. Or allow to cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap and give out as presents to friends, family, and neighbors.