When you’re looking for a light and delicious way to start your day you can be sure to find it with these Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins.
My daughter is trying an experiment for me. She wasn’t excited about it in the beginning, but I think she’s starting to get into it now. Either that or she’s just leading me on.
No, that couldn’t be. What child would do that to her mother!
She’s trying a gluten-free diet for a week. Maybe two.
She’s had trouble with itchy skin lately and that’s listed as one of the symptoms of gluten intolerance. That and a whole host of others.
The thing is, I have issues with gluten so it’s possible she might too.
Did you see what I wrote there? I have issues. See? You can’ say I haven’t warned you!
Anyway, Adee isn’t exactly excited about going gluten-free. It’s hard as a teenager to give up wheat. It’s a basic ingredient in so many comfort foods like pizza, bread, cookies, and Starbuck’s banana nut muffins.
I’m determined to show her you can eat some tasty meals and still be gluten-free (and vegan!). These muffins helped me get in on her good side.
Just wait until I unleash the gluten-free chocolate cookies. She may never crave gluten again!
It really wasn’t that difficult to make these and she was pleasantly surprised. Ah, the things I won’t do for some praise around this house.
Now I just hope it works. There’s nothing like going out on a limb as a parent.
No matter what, I’ve landed on a great Gluten-Free, Vegan Banana Nut Muffin. So even if it doesn’t solve the itchy skin problem, it is definitely solving my need for a delicious way to start the day!
By the way, “Adee” is a nickname for Adele. She and I share this same middle name. Who would have thought a pop singer would come along and make that name so…cool!
Maybe I should go into more details of Adee’s life. She loves it when I do that.
Or maybe I should play it safe and just give you the recipe. So, here you go, Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins. Hopefully a cure for what itches you!
Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins
- 3 regular bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup soy buttermilk soy milk combined with 1 tbsp vinegar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup melted margarine Earth Balanace
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine softened
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Begin by heating your oven to 375F. Prepare your muffin pans by lining with papers or spraying with vegetable cooking spray.
- Next, mash the bananas in a medium bowl. Add the soy buttermilk, brown sugar and melted margarine. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Now combine the gluten-free flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in another medium sized bowl. Stir until well combined. Add the chopped nuts to the flour.
- Take a moment to mix together your topping ingredients - the margarine, gluten-free flour, and brown sugar. Stir well and set aside.
- Now you're ready to put it all together - I love this part!
- Begin by combining the wet and dry muffin ingredients. Stir until mostly combined (you don't want to over mix this) and spoon into prepared muffin pan or cups. Then cover each muffin with a little bit of that yummy topping mixture.
- Place the muffins in your prepared oven and bake for 18 - 20 minutes. Take a peek and make sure the muffins look done. Once they're ready, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes before devouring.