Looking for an easy, delicious brat recipe? These Vegan Brat Kabobs are part of my easy vegan recipes series. Summertime means grilling, and vegans have plenty of reasons to take dinnertime outside, too. Make this tasty and colorful recipe today!
It’s time to get out of the kitchen and enjoy the great outdoors. That’s why we’re sharing this recipe for summer grilling Vegan Brat Kabobs. It’s so good and healthy, you might want to make a double batch. These Kabobs pair perfectly with Vegan Potato Salad and how about some Vegan Texas Sheet Cake for dessert. Sounds like a plan!
I know what you’re thinking. Vegan Brats? That’s a thing?
Well, actually it is. It probably wasn’t a thing 10 years ago, or maybe even 5, but it is today. In fact, we have many brands to choose from when it comes to vegan sausages, and we consider that another great reason to fire up the grill!
Because it used to be the only thing that vegans were skewering were veggies and tofu. I’ve got nothing against the tofu. I’ve grown rather fond of the stuff over the years. I’m just saying it’s nice to have options, especially when it comes to food.
How to Make Vegan Brat Kabobs
First, let me just clarify the whole kabob vs kabab thing. A Kabab is short for Shish Kabab which is meat cooked on a skewer. The version where veggies and other things (like a vegan brat!) are intermixed on a skewer? That’s what we call a Kabob.
Now that we have that straightened out, these vegan brat kabobs are so simple to make. Simply chop up some onions and bell peppers, and wash off some mushrooms. Then you chop the vegan brats into pieces and get everyone in the kitchen to create their own skewer.
I must confess this is my favorite part of the process. Everyone in the kitchen at the same time, skewering their veggies! Put on some Van Morrison and you’ve got yourself a RomCom moment in the making!
*RomCom = romantic comedy. 🙂
I created a simple braise by combining olive oil, Bragg (or soy sauce), and some liquid smoke. I brush that over the skewers while Shawn heated up the grill.
Serving Veggie Kababs
I save a little bit of that sauce and brush the kabobs after they’re removed from the grill too. You could always sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if you’d like, but it’s pretty much ready to serve at this point.
I like to have a little vegan potato salad on the side. And you can also cook a little pasta, or even some baked beans too. It’s really a colorful meal and full of nutritious ingredients.
This Vegan Brat Kabob dish is cholesterol-free, and with the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, it boasts beta carotene, vitamin D (from the mushrooms), chromium, and more.
Vegan Sausage and Red Pepper Skewers
- Vegan Sausage*
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 10-15 Cherry tomatoes
- 10 small mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Bragg or Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid Smoke
- Soak about 10 wood skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- Skewer Prep work: Cut the vegan sausage into 1″ pieces. Cut the vegetables into skewer-size pieces. Wash and pat dry the mushrooms (which we’ll be skewering whole)
- Thread the vegan sausage, and assorted veggies onto prepared wooden skewers. Alternate sausage with vegetables.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, Bragg (or soy sauce), and liquid smoke. Brush each prepared skewer with olive oil mixture.
- Immediately before cooking, heat your grill to medium heat.
- Place skewers on the heated grill. Turn occasionally, to make sure veggies don’t burn. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer skewers to a serving platter. Brush with additional olive oil mixture. Serve with rice or a salad.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Look at this Tasty Vegan Kebob and Veggie Grilling Recipes!
- Tofu Kabobs from Food Republic
- Vegetable Kabobs by Damn Delicious
- Grilled Cauliflower Bean Burgers by Vegan Richa
- Grilled Veggie Chorizo Burgers by yours truly!
Whatever vegan delight you’re grilling, enjoy!