Best Vegan Lemon Bars Recipe with Lemon Curd offers a perfectly proportioned shortbread crust topped with a lightly sweet, tart, lemon curd filling. This vegan lemon tart is a simple recipe made with minimal ingredients. Vegan lemon desserts are non dairy and eggless, making them perfect for so many people. Make these dessert bars gluten-free as well.
Being vegan can involve some sacrifice, but not where dessert is involved. If want to have a special treat for the weekend, try these Vegan Lemon Bars.
Quick, easy, and delicious — you’ll wonder why you didn’t go vegan sooner! If you love lemon desserts, check out my Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars. So good! Or there’s also my Vegan Lemon Cookies. They’re bite-sized rays of sunshine!
I was never a fan of the lemon earlier in my life. When the waitress would ask, “Would you like some lemon with your tea?” I’d respond, “No thanks.” But with a little more emphasis on the NO, if you know what I mean.
I think that’s the thing with converting your diet to a more plant-based, whole food way of living, your taste buds changes. For some reason, now I love lemons.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Bars
Making vegan lemon bars is a simple process. It begins with making the shortbread crust. The ingredients involve: vegan butter (I use Earth Balance), flour, and powdered sugar. Combine those in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Press this into the bottom of your prepared pan.
Next, prepare the Lemon Curd by combining silken tofu, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and nutritional yeast flakes.
I know it sounds odd adding nutritional yeast flakes to a lemon curd, but it’s only a little bit and it gives it a nice, sunny yellow color.
Pulse this until smooth and then pour it over the crust and bake.
When they come out of the oven, allow them to cool for a little bit and then sprinkle the top with just a bit of powdered sugar.
What You’ll Love About these Vegan Lemon Bars
Lemon bars are sort of like a lemon tart, except baked in a square pan. The nice thing is then you can cut the slices into squares which is much more convenient for packing in lunches, etc.
These dairy free bars are also egg free as well. That’s right, these vegan lemon bars are made with no eggs. The lemon curd is made with silken tofu and it tastes so good!
These dessert bars are a sweet treat that are easy to make and an amazing sweet treat.
Of course l used fresh lemons. I think it would be interesting to try a meyer lemon to make it even zestier!
Use these tips and tricks to make these healthy vegan lemon bars the best every time:
- Make these bars gluten free by using gluten free baking flour in place of the flour in the crust
- For a change of pace, use a graham cracker crust in place of this shortbread crust. Combine 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs with 1/4 cup of vegan butter or coconut oil. Press that into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- If you’re concerned about sugar, substitute Swerve for the sugar in this recipe. It subs in a 1:1 basis for sugar and I’ve had great success with it
- I use vegan butter in this recipe but if you prefer you can make the crust with coconut oil instead
- Be sure and prepare your pan by lining it with foil, then spraying with vegetable spray. This helps you remove the bars from the pan after they’ve cooled
- If you want to prevent the bars from cracking, place a cookie pan below it in the oven and fill with water. The steam from the water will add moisture to the oven.
- You can find silken tofu in the produce section of most grocery stores. It may or may not be refrigerated. It’s often found in a small box rather than the larger tubs. If you can’t find silken, just use medium tofu instead
- I use just a bit of nutritional yeast flakes to add color and a little flavor
- I like to top these bars with powdered sugar, but that’s optional
- For the best lemon bars, you want a perfect ratio of crust to filling. I love these tips from Cooks Illustrated on the science of lemon bars!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Lemon Bars
- Heat your oven to 350F and line an 8X8″ square pan with foil. Give the foil a light coating of vegetable spray.
- Combine flour, butter, and powdered sugar in a food processor and pulse for several seconds, until everything is combined. Press into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- In the same food processor bowl (no need to even wash it out), add the tofu, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, corn starch and nutritional yeast flakes. Pulse until completely smooth. Pour the lemon filling over the crust and evenly distribute across the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and the filling is firm (if it’s still overly jiggly, you should cook it a few more minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. After it’s cooled, grab both sides of the aluminum foil and place on a tray. Sprinkle the top with additional powdered sugar, slice and serve.