Can there be a better way to start your week than a slice of Vegan Cinnamon Bread served toasted with a slab of vegan butter? OK. Maybe winning the lottery. Or a hug from your kid. But besides that? Cinnamon bread takes the cake. Oh, you know what I mean!
I haven’t had store-bought cinnamon bread in awhile because it’s just one of those things I figured wasn’t vegan. Is it still the case? Well, I can’t say for sure because I haven’t looked recently.
What I did instead was invest time to make my own. I decided that cinnamon bread was exactly what I needed to make everything just right. Even the idea of bread rising in the kitchen made me feel more at home.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Cinnamon Bread
Usually when I feel determined to make a specific recipe, there’s some crucial ingredient missing from our pantry that requires a quick trip (meaning I go in for one thing and come out with twenty) to the grocery store. I think I need to buy stock in our local grocery store!
But with this recipe, the word simplicity comes to mind. No extravagant ingredients. You might have everything on hand right now!
Sure, from start to finish this recipe takes awhile. Homemade bread is one of those things that requires a little patience.
When you get a craving for warm slice of cinnamon toast, it takes some time before you can get your hands on a slice. But I’m into the art of anticipation, so to me it was all worth it. Knowing that the dough is rising in my favorite burnt orange ceramic bowl in the warmest nook of my kitchen and finally smelling the cinnamon bread as it was baking, was enough to keep me content while I waited.
This Recipe Needs You
I can think of all kinds of ways you can adapt this Vegan Cinnamon Bread recipe:
- Use peanut butter instead of vegan butter in the filling
- Add a sprinkling of raisins to the filling (or better yet…dried cranberries!)
- Top this bread with a simple icing of powdered sugar and some plant-based milk
This bread slices up nicely and you’ll be enjoying it (and maybe even sharing it with others) all weekend long!
You know, we hope you love this recipe for Vegan Cinnamon Bread! If you decide to make it, share the photo using #NamelyMarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- ¾ cups soy buttermilk (add 1 T apple cider vinegar to milk)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS ground cinnamon
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened
- Heat the soy buttermilk in a small saucepan until it simmers. Remove from heat. Add vegan butter and stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 ¼ cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add water to the cooled soy milk mixture. Stir to combine. Add this to the flour mixture. Stir to combine. It should be sticky at this point.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Once the dough starts to form into a ball, knead the mixture in the bowl for about 5 minutes, sprinkling with flour to keep it from getting too sticky.
- Spray the top of the dough ball with vegetable spray and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm place to rise for an hour (or so).
- In the meantime, mix the filling ingredients by combining the brown sugar, cinnamon, and softened vegan butter in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle. I gauge mine based on the size of the pan I'm using. You don't want the loaf to be wider than your loaf pan. Once you get the dough rolled out, spread it with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Note: you could add a sprinkling of raisins or finely chopped nuts here.
- Starting at the far end, roll the dough toward you and pinch the final seem. Place this in your lightly greased loaf pan and cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- Once the loaf has risen, place it in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Finally, if you’re into cinnamon bread, you should check these out:
- Raw, Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread by Amanda Nicole Smith
- Vegan Whole Grain Cinnamon Raisin Bread by TexanErin
- Buckwheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread by Nourishing Meals
- And don’t forget this Vegan Cinnamon Monkey Bread by Me Myself and I!
Whatever bread you’re breaking, enjoy!
We recently updated the photos on this post. Here’s an example of one of the old photos and we think you’ll see why we were motivated to give this post some new photos.