This is the best vegan cinnamon roll recipe ever! If you love gooey cinnamon buns, this recipe will be your favorite. You’ll also want to try these sweet potato cinnamon rolls or this vegan cinnamon bread.
One of my favorite breakfast treats is these tasty vegan cinnamon rolls. Of course, if I’m in a hurry, I’ll make cinnamon muffins. They definitely scratch that cinnamon itch. But there’s no denying the yummy flavor and texture of cinnamon rolls.
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls Ingredients
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Flax egg — You can use a flax egg or a chia egg.
- Soy milk — I prefer soy milk because it has a high protein content similar to dairy milk. However, you can use almond milk or flax milk.
- Vegan butter — Use storebought vegan butter or make homemade vegan butter.
- Flour — I prefer bread flour, but if you have trouble finding it, substitute all-purpose flour. Use a 1:1 baking gluten-free flour to make vegan gluten-free cinnamon rolls.
- Yeast — You can use either instant yeast or active dry yeast.
- Ground cinnamon — A favorite spice for cinnamon rolls!
- Vegan cream cheese — As I mention in my vegan cream cheese frosting, you want to use minimal vegan cream cheese to add flavor to your icing without making it runny.
What Flour is Best?
For this recipe, using bread flour is a sure winner because it has a higher protein content, which allows it to absorb more liquid. This helps the bread rise upwards and not outwards, creating a lighter and chewier texture.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Using bread flour makes these cinnamon rolls so soft and tender
- Adding brown sugar to the filling creates the perfect flavor and texture
- Cream cheese in the frosting adds a hint of tangy flavor that makes these cinnamon rolls undeniably delicious
How do you keep cinnamon rolls from getting hard?
To keep your cinnamon rolls gooey and soft, store them in an airtight container. You can also add a layer of plastic wrap to ensure the rolls stay soft. If your cinnamon rolls have gotten hard, heat them up before serving.
Can I refrigerate unbaked cinnamon rolls?
Cinnamon rolls can be refrigerated before baking them. Let the rolls rise until doubled in size, cover with plastic wrap, and place the pan in the fridge overnight. When ready to bake, let them come to room temperature before preheating the oven. Then, bake according to the recipe instructions.
This is the best cinnamon roll recipe ever. Thanks for sharing it!
Store cinnamon rolls in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days. These can be frozen for up to 2 months. To serve, cook in the microwave until heated through.
Vegan Cinnamon Buns
- ¼ cup vegan butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the flax egg and set aside.
- Combine the milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Set it aside for several minutes. Then add the flax egg and stir. The mixture should be between 105°F/40°C and 108°F/42°C (the same temperature as your finger if you dip it into the liquid).
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Stir to combine. Pour this milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir together until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough in the bowl with your hands or use a dough hook on a mixer for 5 minutes. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the bottom of the bowl. The dough should form into a ball but still be slightly sticky.
- Spray the top with vegetable cooking spray, cover with a kitchen towel, and set it aside to rest, about 30 minutes.
- Roll the Dough: Once the dough is ready, cover a working area with a sheet of plastic wrap. Place the dough on top of the plastic wrap and cover it with another sheet of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to approximately 18×18 inches in size. It helps if you pull the top layer of plastic wrap off the dough and cover it again with the same sheet. It also helps to place an anti-slip pad to keep the dough from sliding as you roll it.
- Add the Filling: Spread softened butter across the dough. Stir together the sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle this over the butter, covering all of it except for about a half-inch of the long edge furthest away from you. Starting from the long end closest to you, roll the dough tightly until you're left with one long roll. Cut into 12 evenly sized rolls about 1 ½ inches wide.
- Cut the Rolls: Prepare a baking dish by spraying a 9-inch round cake pan or pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place rolls in the prepared pan. Cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside to rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about one hour. See post tips for the best place to rise cinnamon rolls.
- When the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350ᵒF/175°C. Place pan in a center rack and bake about 24 to 26 minutes until the rolls are golden in color.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and vegan cream cheese until fluffy. Add the vanilla, followed by the powdered sugar beat until creamy. Stir in one tablespoon of the soy milk at a time to get a spreadable consistency.
- When the rolls are ready, remove them from the oven and add frosting immediately. Serve warm.
- Store cinnamon rolls in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days. These can be frozen for up to 2 months. To serve, cook in the microwave until heated through.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.