Air Fryer Chickpeas recipes create a crispy, spicy snack made with minimal oil. Air fried chickpeas are a crunchy and delicious high-protein snack. Use crispy chickpeas in place of croutons in salads and soups.
There’s no doubt I love a little crispy snacks in my diet. I think it’s from years of being on too many diets — many of which made crispy things seem illusive. No more to all that! These Air fryer chick peas are crispy and healthy!
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chickpeas — We’ll be using a 15-ounce can of chickpeas or roughly 1 3/4 cups of cooked chickpeas.
- Olive oil — You can substitute any neutral oil, like canola oil.
- Salt — I prefer sea salt, but table salt also works.
- Garlic powder
- Spices — You’ll add paprika, turmeric, and some ground dill or any of your favorite spices.
How to Make Roasted Chickpeas in Air Fryer
Wondering how to roast chickpeas in an air fryer? Rest assured, it may be one of the easiest recipes ever. Here are the steps:
Step One: Prepare the Chickpeas
Drain the chickpeas and use a kitchen towel or paper towels to pat them dry. The trick to getting crispy chickpeas is to have them good and dry before adding the oil.
Step Two: Toss in Oil & Spices
Next, toss the chickpeas with oil, making sure each one is coated. Combine the spices in a bowl and drizzle those over the top, tossing until the chickpeas are coated.
You can make air fryer chickpeas without oil. Don’t dry off the chickpeas entirely, so the seasonings will stick to them. They won’t get as crispy, but they’ll be nicely seasoned.
Step Three: Air Frying Chickpeas
Pour the seasoned chickpeas into your air fryer basket. Insert the basket into the air fryer and cook for 10–15 minutes. Remove the basket at least once during cooking to shake or stir the basket. If you want crispy air fried chickpeas, shoot for the 15-minute mark.
When the chickpeas are done, remove the basket from the air fryer. Transfer chickpeas to a serving dish and add salt and pepper to taste.
Once they cool slightly, you can eat them. Serve them on a salad, or in a bowl of soup, or simple eat them plain.
To store leftovers, allow the chickpeas to cool and then transfer them to an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for 5–7 days.
How do you make chickpeas crispy?
Air frying is a great way to make chickpeas crispy because it circulates hot air, causing the exterior of the chickpea to brown. The surface area becomes dehydrated of any moisture, forming a crust. The high heat continues cooking the interior, causing the chickpea fibers to soften.
Are Chickpeas Healthy?
Chickpeas are healthy and can contribute to weight loss efforts because of their high fiber content. They’re also a low-glycemic food that is loaded with protein, nutrients, and minerals. Check out the nutritional profile of chickpeas for more information. With over 1200 calories in an 8-ounce bag of potato chips, you could make TWO batches of this recipe and eat it all and still have fewer calories than the potato chips. Of course, I don’t recommend doing that. However, when part of a balanced diet, adding some roasted chickpeas to your meals is a great idea!
Let’s face it — the chickpea is a perfect snack!
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dill
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Drain chickpeas and pat dry with a paper towel. Stir together spices in a small bowl. Toss chickpeas with oil and then sprinkle spices over the top, making sure each is coated.
- Pour chickpeas into the basket of your air fryer. Insert basket into preheated air fryer. Cook for approximatley 15 minutes, removing the basket to shake it a couple of times.
- When chickpeas are done, remove basket from the air fryer. Transfer chickpeas to a serving dish and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.