These almond butter balls are studded with chocolate chips and made with lots of healthy ingredients. Made with only 5 ingredients, these little healthy pick-me-up snacks are ready in minutes.
I love cookies, which is why I continue to make these vegan chocolate chip cookies. They’re just a fun and tasty treat in the middle of the day. I even love the dough which is why this edible peanut butter cookie dough comes in so handy. But sometimes you want something simple and healthy, which is why these almond butter balls are perfect!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Combining almond butter and almond butter creates the perfect texture and flavor
- Adding ground flax seeds contributes nutrition (they’re loaded with omega-3s) and also keeps that texture in check
- Chocolate chips add pops of color and flavor throughout every bite
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Almond butter — You can use either almond butter or a nut butter that is made with a mixture of almond butter and other nut butters. Kirkland Mixed Nut Butter is a favorite and is part of my regular buying vegan at Costco shopping trips.
- Almond flour — You can use either almond flour (which uses balanced almonds) or almond meal (made from almonds with the skins).
- Ground flax seeds
- Agave nectar — I use agave nectar, but you can substitute maple syrup. Or if you prefer a zero-calorie sweetener, use monkfruit syrup. Or for zero added sugar and a more plant-based approach substitute dates. You’ll need anywhere from 5 to 10 Medjool dates for this recipe.
- Chocolate chips — Use my dairy-free chocolate chips guide to pick the best vegan chocolate chips for you.
What Almond Butter is Best
Almond butter is made from grinding up almonds, forming a paste otherwise known as nut butter. You can select from roasted or raw almond butter. You can even find almond butter that is combined with other nut butters, like cashew butter. I prefer to use unsweetened almond butter, but just about any almond butter will work for these energy treats.
How to Make Almond Butter Balls
- Process the ingredients in a food processor.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into balls.
Here are more detailed instructions with step-by-step photos:
Step One: Process the Dough
Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until the ingredients are combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
If you’re using Medjooj dates, assess their texture. If they’re dry and firm, you should heat them in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them before processing.
Step Two: Add Chocolate Chips
This step is purely optional, but I like adding chocolate chips for the bit of color, texture, and flavor they offer. You can use the food processor to break them down into small pieces in the dough, or stir them into the dough for large pieces of chocolate chips.
Step Three: Roll the Dough
Use a cookie dough dispenser to measure out rounded spoonfuls of the batter. Roll these up in balls.
If the dough is too dry and won’t roll, add a little more almond butter (around a tablespoon) and/or another tablespoon of agave. If they are too moist and sticky, add a little more almond flour (around a tablespoon or two), until you achieve the desired consistency.
Almond Butter Protein Balls
These tasty treats already come with 5g of protein, but you can boost that by adding vanilla protein powder to the dough. Even just 1/3 cup of plant-based protein powder will add up to 10 grams of protein to the batch.
Is almond butter a healthy snack?
Almond butter is a great healthy, plant-based snack. It’s loaded with protein, vitamins, and minerals. You can use almond butter as a spread or serve it with your favorite fruits.
Are protein balls good for you?
Like any snack, protein balls when eaten in moderation are a great way to stay healthy while indulging your cravings for occasional sweets.
Here are ways to serve these almond butter balls:
- After School Snack — These treats are quick to make and fun to share with friends coming by after school!
- Breakfast — these treats are so healthy and filling, they’re perfect for breakfast.
- Pre or Post Workout — Get your workout going right with these healthy treats.
- Dessert — Satisfy your after-dinner sweet tooth with an energy ball.
Store energy balls in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days. They can be frozen in freezer-safe bags or containers for up to 2 months.
More Healthy Sweets
If you love these tasty almond balls, you’ll want to try even more healthy sweets. Here are some favorites to try:
For more almond butter snacks, you’ll definitely want to try this almond butter cake. It’s delicious!
Almond Butter Balls
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until ingredients are combined. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Use a cookie dough dispenser to measure out rounded spoonfuls of the batter. Roll these up in a ball. See notes for troubleshooting.
- Store in an airtight container. They will last up to a week in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.